Uttar Pradesh ignoring court orders on Ganga Expressway: ActivistJune 12th, 2009 - 11:30 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 12 (IANS) Magsaysay awardee and noted environmentalist Rajendra Singh Friday accused the Uttar Pradesh government of violating court directives on obtaining green certification before going ahead with the Ganga Expressway project.
“Despite the High Court directions to the state government that it should not go ahead with the ambitious project without obtaining a fresh environmental clearance, the government is carrying out land acquisition for the project,” Singh told reporters here.
“I recently toured Rae Bareli and Pratapgarh district and notices the government ignoring the Court directives was busy with the land acquisition drive,” he added.
Singh demanded the state government at the earliest must stall the project as per the directions of the High Court. “If the government continues to ignore the court directions, we will carry out rallies against the government in all the districts, where from the upcoming Ganga Expressway will pass.”
The court last month had quashed the earlier environmental clearance of the project and directed the state government to get the fresh clearance following necessary provisions laid under section (3) of the Environmental Protection Act.
The Mayawati cabinet in January 2008 had approved the Rs.40,000-crore (Rs.400 billion), 1,047-km long Ganga Expressway, which would link Noida to Ballia, passing through 19 districts along the banks of the river.
- High curt orders a stop to all work on Ganga Expressway - Nov 09, 2009
- Allahabad High Court stalls Ganga Expressway - May 29, 2009
- Rajendra Singh threatens to stop Ganga Expressway - Nov 17, 2008
- Mulayam demands Maaywati's dismissal over farmers' deaths - Aug 16, 2010
- Ganga activists threaten to re-launch campaign - May 14, 2012
- Allahabad High Court stalls Ganga Expressway project - May 30, 2009
- PM's aide blocking Athirapally power project: Kerala minister - May 12, 2011
- Himachal court cancels green nod for cement unit - Dec 13, 2010
- Himachal dam meant for parched Delhi in troubled waters - Aug 04, 2011
- Mayawati slams opposition, says Rahul is helpless - May 12, 2011
- Yamuna Expressway awaits Akhilesh nod (With Image) - Mar 21, 2012
- Congress extended favours to Jaiprakash Associates: Dhumal - May 07, 2012
- Court sets aside land acquisition in Greater Noida - May 30, 2011
- Ganga Expressway's construction on lines of GFCA's recommendation - May 30, 2009
- Drinking water for Delhi: Chief secretaries to meet - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: activist, ambitious project, awardee, banks of the river, crore, environmental clearance, environmental protection act, environmentalist, expressway project, land acquisition, necessary provisions, pratapgarh, rae bareli, rallies, rs 40, section 3, state government, uttar pradesh government