‘Use social meida to spread awareness about water conservation’July 29th, 2012 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 29 (IANS) Filmmaker Shekhar Kapur, who is making a film on water scarcity with Hrithik Roshan in the lead, feels one awareness about the issue can be spread through social networking websites.
“We all have Twitter handles and Facebook accounts, so why not use it to spread awareness about common issue like water conservation? It is a very powerful medium. If Mahatma Gandhi would have had a Facebook account, then we would have got independence very early,” said the director of acclaimed films like “Masoom”, “Mr.India” and “Bandit Queen”.
The 66-year-old was speaking at The Water Landscape, a panel discussion with reference to water scarcity, at the ongoing 12th Osian’s Cinefan Film Festival that kicked off here Friday.
The internationally acclaimed filmmaker said that the water-related discussion could be taken to another level with the help of social media.
He also feels that right kind of passion can help in brining change in the society.
“Individual passion makes a difference. If you have the passion to change something then that passion can change 10 others and the chain goes on. So go ahead and start with it,” said Kapur.
Water conservation is on Kapur’s priority list, and his new mega production “Paani” has its roots in the water crisis, which has escalated in last 15 years due to over-consumption and misuse.
“When I told people that I am making a film on water, they told me, ‘Who is going to watch a film like that?’ But then I went ahead with it. The problem of water is always seen as a rural problem, but actually it is a urban issue.
“My film ‘Paani’ is about a thirsty family. I have kept certain things in mind - like who does the ground water belong to? What will happen when in future water becomes privatised?” he said.
Water scarcity is the worst thing, said Kapur and added that “one can live without electricity and food” for few days, “but not without water”.
“If there will be no water for one day, I am sure there will be water riots,” he added.
Experts such as Ashok Khosla, Ramaswamy Iyer, Rajendra Singh, Mubashir Hasan and Vikram Soni joined Kapur in the panel discussion.
- Normal for passion films like 'Paani' to take time: Shekhar Kapur - Jul 12, 2011
- Filmmaking losing its iconic identity: Shekhar Kapur - Aug 01, 2012
- Shekhar Kapur not replacing Hrithik with Ranbir - Jul 17, 2012
- Cinema now just a product: Shekhar Kapur - Dec 05, 2011
- Hrithik denies demanding changes in 'Paani' script - Oct 07, 2010
- Shekhar Kapur denies turning down Cruz's offer - Mar 06, 2011
- Hrithik Rubbishes Reports Of Demanding Changes In Script Of 'Paani' - Oct 08, 2010
- Films have become marketing product: Shekhar Kapur - Jul 27, 2012
- Only Anil Kapoor can repeat 'Mr. India' : Shekhar Kapur - Jul 07, 2009
- Indian, world cinema set new trends at Osian's film fest (Review) - Aug 06, 2012
- Shekhar Kapur's 'Paani' to focus on water wars - Jul 10, 2011
- Shekhar Kapur on Cannes feature film jury - Apr 15, 2010
- Nana ignores back pain, lifts Shreyas (Movie Snippets) (With Images) - Aug 15, 2012
- Can't think 'Mr.India 2' without Amrish Puri: Shekhar Kapur (Movie Snippets) - Jun 23, 2012
- I'm never satisfied with my work: Imtiaz Ali - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: bandit queen, consumption, electricity, few days, film festival, ground water, hrithik roshan, mahatma gandhi, meida, mr india, New Delhi, osian, panel discussion, passion, roots, shekhar kapur, social networking, water conservation, water crisis, water scarcity