Uphold ban on horse-drawn carriages, says PETASeptember 23rd, 2011 - 1:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 23 (IANS) Animal rights organisation People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) Friday urged the municipal commissioner of Delhi to uphold a ban on horse-drawn carriages in the capital citing cruelty to the animals.
“Forcing horses to pull open carriages through congested traffic is not only a throwback to an unenlightened time but also an accident waiting to happen,” said Manilal Valliyate, director of veterinary affairs at PETA India, in a letter to Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) Commissioner K.S. Mehra.
“We urge the MCD to follow its own legal directive to phase out carriages in Delhi completely,” added Valliyate.
The letter comes days after a horse pulling a carriage on chaotic Mumbai roads collapsed due to exhaustion Sep 9.
Back in 2009, the MCD had posed a ban on horse tongas. However, the civic agency is now mulling revoking the ban due to their old world charm that attracts tourists.
PETA said the animals used in carriages are subjected to torture as they are forced to haul passengers in sweltering heat and extreme cold, and devoid of adequate rest, food and water.
Toronto, London, Paris, and Beijing are among the list of cities that have already banned horse-drawn carriages.
- Animal rights groups want tongas to stay off Delhi roads - Jul 18, 2012
- PETA for banning horse drawn carriages in Mumbai (With Images) - Jun 13, 2012
- Hema Malini urges ban on Tamil Nadu's Jallikattu - Jul 01, 2011
- Zeenat Aman wants ban on horse-carriages in Mumbai - Jul 25, 2012
- Animal rights groups step up campaign against horse carriages - Jun 14, 2012
- Zeenat Aman asks for ban on horse-drawn carriages - Jul 24, 2012
- 'Take horse-drawn carriages off Mumbai roads' - Oct 03, 2011
- Approach MCD for relocation, court to tonga owners - Jul 14, 2010
- Tongas to go off Delhi's roads for good - Nov 19, 2009
- Decision to ban 'tonga' horse drawn carriages draws ire - Jun 01, 2010
- Capital's tongas get brief respite, to end May 31 - May 11, 2010
- End of road for Delhi's tongas (Lead) - May 10, 2010
- Delhi tongas won't retire to stables - Jun 06, 2010
- PETA moots speed guns against trains that kill tuskers - Oct 05, 2010
- Bumpy ride: Delhi tongas on their last legs (Feature With Images) - Aug 07, 2011
Tags: adequate rest, animal rights, beijing, ethical treatment of animals, exhaustion, horse drawn carriages, list of cities, london paris, municipal commissioner, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, New Delhi, open carriages, people for the ethical treatment of animals, peta india, sweltering heat, throwback, tourists, treatment of animals, world charm