Unexpectedly Greenland is experiencing warm weatherDecember 22nd, 2010 - 1:05 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Nuuk, Dec 21 (THAINDIAN NEWS) This year, the world has seen some extremes that have exposed how dependent mankind is on nature.
Innovations and civilization has solved many problems and they also seek to reduce mankind’s dependence on Mother Nature. However as it turned out this year, severe changes in the weather caused people to readjust the way they carried out their activities. It happened when mountains in Iceland started spewing volcanoes and it has happened again with severe snow around Europe.
Though some parts of Western Europe are witnessing record low levels of temperature, Greenland which is noted for its chilling temperatures is witnessing relatively higher temperature. Scientists tried to explain what is happening.
They say that there have been some changes in the jet stream’s path. This has caused some regions including Australia to experience snow. The change has directed warmer Atlantic air to Greenland and parts of Canada and this is what is causing what appears to be swapping climate change in some countries.
It seems the world should embrace itself for the pattern, at least for now.
One UK meteorologist said that, “The problem is we are not getting the warmer Atlantic air that normally keeps our winters mild.”
- Volcanic ash may reach North America - Apr 21, 2010
- Buenos Aires airports reopen as volcanic ash clears - Oct 18, 2011
- Freak diversion of jet stream propels freezing conditions - Dec 23, 2010
- Icelandic volcanic eruption unlikely to have global effects: Scientist - Apr 17, 2010
- Water flowing into Arctic warmest in 2,000 years - Feb 01, 2011
- Iceland's most active volcano erupts - May 22, 2011
- Eyjafjallajokull, Beautiful Tragedy: Ash Shuts Down Airports - Apr 16, 2010
- Iceland volcano pushes down 1,000 tonne boulder - Nov 28, 2010
- Inflow of salt water from Indian Ocean could stabilize climate in Europe - Apr 30, 2011
- European airlines cancel more than 500 flights as volcanic ash spreads - May 24, 2011
- Snow In 49 States: Is It A Bit Unnatural? - Jan 13, 2011
- Greenland rapidly rising due to ice melting - May 19, 2010
- Europe cancels 250 flights over volcanic ash (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Passengers stuck as volcanic ash spreads across Europe (Second lead) - Apr 16, 2010
- Melting glaciers on Arctic islands play major role in rise of sea level - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: australia, canada, changes in the weather, civilization, climate change, dependence, extremes, greenland, innovations, jet stream, mankind, meteorologist, mother nature, mountains, scientists, temperatures, warm weather, western europe