UNDP calls for energy access to all by 2030June 22nd, 2011 - 3:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) With 1.4 billion people in the world still living without electricity, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has joined its partner agencies in a call to provide modern energy services to all within the next 20 years.
“Achieving universal access to modern energy by 2030 is possible and can lift more than a billion people out of extreme energy poverty. The additional investment required is about $40 billion per year until 2030, less than three percent of total global energy investment,” a statement quoting UNDP Associate Administrator Rebeca Grynspan said.
Grynspan was speaking at the three-day international energy forum in Vienna which began Tuesday.
According to the statement, 1.4 billion people are still without electricity access, and three billion use firewood and other biomass and coal as fuel for cooking and heating, causing indoor pollution and leading to diseases that kill two million people every year.
“We have to build a momentum for a global movement for universal energy access,” said Grynspan. “We need to invest in capacity development to create enabling policy, regulatory frameworks and effective institutions and we must partner with the private sector and civil society that drives innovation, brings investments and creates jobs.”
The UN General Assembly has designated 2012 “International Year for Sustainable Energy for All”. Universal access is one of the key focus areas for a high-level summit in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in June next year.
- UN urges increased efforts to achieve sustainable energy for all - Jan 17, 2012
- Coal, wood burning kills more people than malaria - Feb 17, 2012
- Clean energy for world's poor essential for achieving Millennium Development Goals: UN - May 08, 2010
- 'Investment in solar power projects to double by 2015' - Oct 28, 2010
- India should scale up green technologies: UNIDO chief (Interview) - Feb 05, 2012
- Indoor pollution ups cardio risk among women - Jul 10, 2011
- Stove fumes as big a killer as AIDS - Dec 17, 2010
- GE invests $300 mn in Brazilian firm - May 25, 2012
- General Electric to invest $200 million in India - Mar 14, 2011
- Brazilian man to set up $1 bn electric car plant - Sep 17, 2010
- GE bets on India; to hire 6,000 more - Sep 26, 2011
- Rivers could provide energy for half billion people - Apr 19, 2012
- Energy firm Soham raises Rs.125 crore from SBI fund - Nov 07, 2011
- Over two lakh poor women workers to get stoves, lanterns - Nov 19, 2011
- Italy to invest 2 bn euros in Serbian energy projects - Oct 27, 2011
Tags: associate administrator, de janeiro brazil, energy forum, energy investment, energy services, extreme energy, global energy, global movement, indoor pollution, international energy, living without electricity, partner agencies, regulatory frameworks, rio de janeiro, rio de janeiro brazil, statement 1, un general assembly, united nations development, united nations development programme, universal energy