UN award for Gujarat sanitation bodyJune 24th, 2009 - 12:17 pm ICT by IANS
United Nations, June 24 (IANS) Gujarat’s Water and Sanitation Management Organisation (WASMO) has been given the United Nations Public Service Award 2009 for their work in the field of “institutionalisation of community management and user’s level participation in the drinking water supply”.
The prestigious international recognition of excellence for an Indian public organisation in the field of public service was received at a ceremony here Tuesday by V.S. Gadhavi, Water Supply and Water Resources Secretary of the state.
WASMO was conferred the Award for “Fostering Participation in Policy-Making Decisions Through Innovative Mechanisms” for their work in the field of ‘institutionalisation of community management and user’s level participation in the drinking water supply’.
The programme involved improving access to water in rural areas by engaging citizens in water management, which was developed by the Organisation in 2002. This programme has been also instrumental in playing a key role in achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
Receiving the award, Gadhavi said at the core of WASMO has been the idea of ‘Public-Private-Partnership’ paradigm for a citizen centric, efficient public service mechanism.
Since the institution of the Award in 2003, various public organisations from India have been conferred the Award in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008.
In 2008, ‘Programme of Communitisation of Public Institutions and Services, Nagaland’ was conferred the Award in the winners category and District Lokvani Society, Sitapur, Uttar Pradesh was conferred the Award in the finalist category.
- Commonwealth award to Gujarat department - Oct 22, 2010
- UN honours two Indian set-ups for excellence in public service - Jun 24, 2008
- Wildlife conservationists honoured - Dec 01, 2011
- Ban to meet business leaders for UN health agenda - Apr 28, 2012
- Hello, This Is Nature's Call From A Garbage Heap! - Apr 07, 2012
- A Finnish solution to arsenic water in India (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- A Finnish solution to arsenic water in India - Sep 09, 2012
- PM to inaugurate 'Civil Services Day' tomorrow - Apr 20, 2011
- Delhi plans family development index - Nov 03, 2010
- Government considering separate community policing wing - Nov 25, 2011
- Secretaries to explore ways to improve governance in India - Feb 03, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to inaugurate conference of chief secretaries - Feb 04, 2011
- India announces doubling its contribution to PPD programme - Oct 28, 2010
- Brazilian star Marta's message of women's power in World Cup - Jun 28, 2011
- Proposal for free medicines at government facilities - Mar 20, 2012
Tags: achieving the millennium development goals, community management, drinking water supply, gujarat, institutionalisation, international recognition, key role, level participation, management organisation, millennium development goals, public institutions, public organisation, public organisations, public private partnership, rural areas, secretary of the state, wasmo, water and sanitation, water management, water resources