UAE launches sustainable lifestyle kitJuly 12th, 2011 - 3:32 pm ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, July 12 (IANS/WAM) The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has launched an innovative reusable kit to help raise awareness about the region’s unique biodiversity as well as reduce carbon emission.
The “Sustainable Lifestyles Tool Kit” has been launched by the Environment Agency - Abu Dhabi (EAD) for its employees.
The kit contains a unique towel to help employees wash their cars using the barest minimum water.
The towel, made of natural organic material, is durable and can be used again and again. It does not require any chemicals or detergents to be washed and only needs to be soaked in plain water.
The kit also contains an energy-saving light bulb, a reusable water bottle, a reusable shopping bag and a set of wildlife postcards, which people can send to friends to help raise awareness about the environment.
With over one billion plastic bottles being produced in the UAE every year, this reusable water bottle will help people reduce waste.
The reusable shopping bag will help avoid plastic bags, which are the cause of half of all camel deaths each year.
Simon Pearson, manager of environmental strategy at the agency, said: “This programme aims to reduce our overall footprint and hopefully inspires others to take action. By adopting simple habits, together we can help make a difference.”
“If everyone in the UAE swapped a conventional light bulb for an energy-saving one, we can save over 1,500 tonnes of carbon emission every year. Also, by using the car towel, people will avoid washing their cars with a hose, which wastes around 180 litres each time.”
- UAE anti-plastic bags campaign a hit with private sector - May 06, 2011
- 15 tonnes of waste collected from UAE seabed - Apr 30, 2012
- UAE to use biodegradable plastic bags by 2013 - May 16, 2011
- UAE approves new veterinary products - Feb 27, 2012
- UAE opens 'green' service station - Jan 07, 2011
- UAE delivers aid for Libyan schools - Sep 02, 2012
- Abu Dhabi to host earth summit - Dec 08, 2011
- 'Green buildings' soon in UAE - Jul 07, 2010
- UAE tests new solar-powered water desalination method - Jan 19, 2011
- UAE,Poland discuss cooperation - Apr 23, 2012
- UAE charity delivers food aid to Yemen - Jul 08, 2012
- Fire at UAE building - Aug 22, 2012
- Dubai Airports reduce 72,000 tonnes CO2 emissions - Mar 28, 2012
- Egyptians in UAE asked to register for elections - Nov 12, 2011
- Abu Dhabi to host third Indo-Arab meet - May 15, 2012
Tags: abu dhabi, carbon emission, detergents, ead, environment agency, environmental strategy, footprint, light bulb, natural organic material, one billion, plain water, plastic bags, plastic bottles, reusable shopping bag, reusable water bottle, simon pearson, sustainable lifestyle, sustainable lifestyles, united arab emirates, wildlife postcards