UAE hopes to go green with two million treesNovember 5th, 2010 - 12:41 pm ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, Nov 5 (IANS/WAM) In a massive national campaign that aims to preserve the environment and expand the region’s green areas, an environmental group in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has planted over two million trees.
The Emirates Environmental Group (EEG) said its “Million Tree Campaign” has successfully planted the trees in a span of just under four years. This campaign is part of a large-scale conversion plan to change parts of the desert into “green gardens”.
Habiba Al Marashi, EEG chairperson, said the tree planting is part of the organisation’s aims and goals to deal with climate change and global warming as well as to preserve and protect the ecosystem.
The EEG is working on how to encourage planting of indigenous trees, as those are well adapted to the harsh desert conditions, high temperature and water scarcity, in addition to the salinity of the soil, she said.
“These trees are also part of the national heritage, as they are associated with our land since a long time,” she added.
- 1,500 trees planted in Abu Dhabi - Mar 14, 2012
- UAE launches wildlife conservation project - Apr 15, 2012
- UAE launches food safety campaign for Ramadan - Jul 19, 2012
- UAE to launch campaign to raise donations for Yemen - Jun 21, 2012
- UAE charity gets one mn hours of volunteer work - Jun 09, 2012
- 15 tonnes of waste collected from UAE seabed - Apr 30, 2012
- UAE Heritage Festival inaugurated - Apr 24, 2012
- Emirates Palace christmas tree sets world record - May 12, 2011
- UAE to enrol one million volunteers for social work - Apr 16, 2011
- UAE finance ministry officials donate blood - May 17, 2011
- UAE, Germany to collaborate on security - Mar 12, 2012
- UAE charity sends five tonnes of dates to India - Mar 31, 2012
- UAE hospital provides health care to Pakistani children - Oct 06, 2010
- UAE revives trend of picture postcards - Nov 03, 2010
- Etihad Airways to host airline symposium - May 17, 2012
Tags: al marashi, chairperson, climate change, conversion plan, eeg, environmental group, green gardens, habiba, harsh desert conditions, high temperature, indigenous trees, national campaign, national heritage, nov 5, s green, salinity, tree campaign, tree planting, united arab emirates, water scarcity