Typhoon Morakat kills 67 in TaiwanAugust 12th, 2009 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
Taipei, Aug 12 (Xinhua) The deaths from the typhoon Morakat reached 67 with 61 people still missing in Taiwan, authorities said Wednesday.
Another 45 people were injured after the worst typhoon to hit the region in nearly five decades swept across the island, causing havoc across central and southern regions.
The toll included three rescuers on board a helicopter that crashed Tuesday during a disaster-relief mission in southern Pingdong. Their bodies were found Wednesday morning.
Strong winds also cut electricity supply to more than 1.59 million households, but it has now been restored to nearly 1.56 million of them, according to local power companies.
More than 20,000 houses were still without electricity Wednesday, mainly in the cities of Pingdong, Kaohsiung, Taitung, Chiayi and Tainan.
Typhoon Morakot has caused more than 8.8 billion New Taiwan dollars (about $267 million) in agricultural damage, say local agricultural authorities.
Hundreds of roads and bridges on the island have been destroyed by floods, and disaster-relief centres have dispatched helicopters to transport villagers and air-drop goods in those regions.
On Wednesday, there were still 27 bridges and 69 main roads blocked or impassable.
In parts of central-south Taiwan where water has started to retreat, people are returning to repair homes and infrastructure, local media reported.
People from a wide range of social sectors, including the government, enterprises, entertainment and TV stations, have donated cash and goods worth millions of New Taiwan dollars to support disaster-relief work.
- Taiwan typhoon toll rises to 153 - Aug 21, 2009
- Typhoon Morakot kills 6 in Taiwan - Aug 09, 2009
- Typhoon Fanapi hits China - Sep 20, 2010
- Taiwan typhoon toll rises to 461 - Aug 26, 2009
- Taiwan taking pains to make Dalai Lama's visit non-political - Aug 28, 2009
- Strong earthquake shakes Taiwan; no damage reported - Mar 04, 2010
- Taiwan asks Dalai Lama to keep politics out of his visit - Sep 02, 2009
- Taiwan typhoon toll rises to 136 - Aug 19, 2009
- Typhoon Morakot weakens, leaves trail of destruction in China - Aug 10, 2009
- "Typhoon Morakot" devastates Eastern China, Taiwan coastline, one million relocated - Aug 10, 2009
- Typhoon Nesat kills 31 in Philippines - Sep 28, 2011
- Taiwan issues warning as Typhoon Fanapi approaches - Sep 18, 2010
- Copter crashes into mountain in typhoon-hit Taiwan - Aug 11, 2009
- Strong quake hits off southern Taiwan, no threat - Feb 15, 2011
- Three mn affected by Pakistan's worst floods: UNICEF - Aug 03, 2010
Tags: agricultural damage, chiayi, disaster relief, electricity supply, government enterprises, havoc across, kaohsiung, local power, main roads, rescuers, roads and bridges, social sectors, south taiwan, southern regions, strong winds, taiwan authorities, taiwan dollars, taiwan taipei, typhoon morakot, xinhua