Two poachers held with leopard skins in Uttar PradeshMarch 6th, 2010 - 2:24 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 6 (IANS) Two poachers, who operated in several states of the country, have been arrested with leopard skins in Uttar Pradesh’s Meerut district, police said Saturday.
Ashish Gupta and Raju - both in their mid 40s - were nabbed late Friday evening, following a joint operation carried out by the Special Task Force (STF) and police.
“Two leopard skins were seized from their possession. They were nabbed near the Lisari Gate but one of their associates managed to give us the slip and escaped,” STF inspector Dharmendra Yadav told reporters in Meerut, some 400 km from Lucknow.
“The two have admitted that they have been working for poaching rackets, operating in Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh, for over six years,” he added.
According to police, the two also had their clients in Nepal, to whom they used to sell wild animal hides, skins, antlers and meat.
They have been booked under the relevant sections of the Wildlife Act. Killing of a leopard is a serious offence under the act and offenders face three to seven years’ rigorous imprisonment, if convicted, officials said.
- Two poachers held with leopard skins in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 27, 2010
- Poachers held with leopard skin - Feb 10, 2011
- Three held with 400 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 29, 2010
- Two held with leopard skin in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 17, 2011
- Three arrested with leopard skins in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 18, 2010
- Two arrested with leopard skin in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 16, 2010
- Nepali poacher arrested with leopard skins - Jan 12, 2011
- Two poachers nabbed with animal skins in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 21, 2010
- Peacock Poacher arrested with three carcasses - Nov 24, 2010
- Two poachers held with 80 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 16, 2010
- Two arrested with deer skin - Apr 26, 2010
- Poacher nabbed in Uttar Pradesh, leopard carcass seized - Dec 28, 2010
- Poachers held with 60 tortoises - Jun 16, 2010
- Poacher held with 80 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 06, 2010
- Now, tigers and leopards targeted by Maoists - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: animal hides, antlers, ashish gupta, dharmendra, district police, friday evening, leopard skins, meerut district, mid 40s, offence, poachers, possession, relevant sections, rigorous imprisonment, seven years, stf, uttarakhand, wild animal, wildlife act, yadav