Two poachers held with 900 tortoisesJanuary 17th, 2011 - 12:54 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 17 (IANS) Two poachers have been arrested with around 900 tortoises in Ambedkar Nagar in Uttar Pradesh, police said Monday.The two poachers, aged around 30 years, were nabbed Sunday from Ibrahimpur area and sacks full of tortoises seized from their Tata Sumo.
“Of the two men arrested, one is from West Bengal while the other belongs to Uttar Pradesh. Preliminary investigations indicate that the two were supposed to hand over the tortoises to their clients in West Bengal,” police inspector R.S. Verma told reporters in Ambedkar Nagar, some 200 km from Lucknow.
“We are yet to ascertain the place where from the two brought the tortoises. They are giving contradictory statements in this regard,” he said.
According to police, most of the tortoises recovered from the duo’s possession were alive.
“They have been handed over to the forest officials,” said Verma.
India has banned the trade of tortoises under the 1972 Wildlife Protection Act but the huge premium and lax laws are increasingly luring poachers to the trade.
Tortoises are killed for their meat and are used in the preparation of some medicines, officials said.
- Three held with 400 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 29, 2010
- Two poachers held with over 40 tortoises - Jan 10, 2011
- Poacher held with 80 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 06, 2010
- Poachers held with 60 tortoises - Jun 16, 2010
- Woman arrested with 85 tortoises - Feb 22, 2011
- Two poachers held with around 200 tortoises - Jun 09, 2011
- Two poachers held with 80 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 16, 2010
- Poachers nabbed with 40 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 10, 2010
- Poacher held with over 300 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 12, 2010
- Forest officials rescue 39 smuggled tortoises in Nainital - Feb 13, 2011
- Four poachers arrested in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 28, 2009
- Three poachers held in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 06, 2011
- Three poachers held with tortoises - Sep 07, 2011
- Two poachers nabbed with 95 tortoises - May 04, 2011
- Two women poachers nabbed with 130 tortoises - Feb 27, 2010
Tags: contradictory statements, forest officials, India, investigations, lax laws, medicines, poachers, police inspector, possession, regard, sacks, tata sumo, tortoises, two men, west bengal police, wildlife protection act