Two Orissa ports on alert over cyclone ‘Jal’November 6th, 2010 - 3:05 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 6 (IANS) Storm warning signals were hoisted in two Orissa ports as cyclonic storm ‘Jal’ over southwest Bay of Bengal intensified into a severe cyclonic storm, officials said.
The storm warning signals were kept hoisted since Friday at Gopalpur port in Ganjam district and Paradip port in Jagatsinghpur district as part of precautionary measures, an official of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre told IANS.
There is no threat to the state’s coast so far but a few places in the southern part may see rain or thundershowers till Sunday, he said.
Cyclonic storm Jal has moved northwestwards and intensified into a severe cyclonic storm and lay centered about 1,000 km south of Gopalpur, he said.
It would intensify further, cross north Tamil Nadu and south Andhra Pradesh coast between Puducherry and Nellore close to Chennai by Sunday night, he added.
- Orissa fishermen alerted over cyclone 'Jal' - Nov 07, 2010
- Cyclone weakens, heavy rains likely in Orissa - Nov 08, 2010
- Storm warning signal hoisted at Orissa ports - May 17, 2010
- Relief for coastal Andhra as cyclone threat dissipates - Nov 08, 2010
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Cyclonic storm 'Jal' moves slightly, alert sounded in Andhra, Tamil Nadu - Nov 06, 2010
- Alert in Andhra as cyclone threatens coast - Nov 06, 2010
- Storm warning hoisted at Orissa ports - Sep 22, 2011
- Depression over Bay of Bengal, fishermen alerted - Oct 19, 2011
- Orissa fishermen alerted over cyclone Laila - May 19, 2010
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Cyclonic storm JAL likely to hit Chennai and Nellore coast tonight - Nov 07, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh, bay of bengal, bhubaneswar, cyclone, jal, meteorological centre, orissa, ports, precautionary measures, puducherry, rain, severe cyclonic storm, signals, southwest bay, storm warning, tamil nadu, thundershowers