Two lion cubs drown in Gujarat village wellMay 22nd, 2008 - 1:26 am ICT by admin
Junagadh (Gujarat), May 21 (IANS) Two one-month-old lion cubs were found dead in a well in a village near Gujarat’s Gir forest Wednesday, even as a cub rescued from a well in another village was reunited with its mother. The two cubs, a male and a female, had fallen into the well owned by farmer Chagganbhai Parshottambhai in Khilavad village, 195 km from here. Chagganbhai saw the carcasses in the morning and informed forest officials.
Assistant conservator of forests J.K. Dhami told IANS that a lioness and her cubs could have wandered near the farm in search of prey. The cubs might have entered the machine room, where a large steel pipe is connected directly to the well, he said.
The autopsy confirmed they had died due to drowning, Dhami said.
Meanwhile, a six-month-old lion cub that was rescued Monday from a well near Sutrapada village, 150 km from here, was reunited with its mother Tuesday night.
To unite the cub with the lioness, forest officials put the young animal in a cage and left it near the border of the village. Their efforts paid off when a lioness came near the cage Tuesday night to retrieve her cub. As soon as the door of the cage was opened, the six-month-old rushed to its mother, who carried it away to a nearby forest.
- Ukrainian man to spend 35 days in cage with lion - Aug 04, 2011
- Lion cub rescued from well in Gujarat - May 19, 2008
- Lion axed after it mauls five - Mar 22, 2010
- Amitabh's endorsement lures tourists to Gujarat's Gir Wildlife Sanctuary - Nov 12, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh's Asiatic Lion safari plan finalised - Jun 10, 2012
- Lion census to be held in Gujarat - Apr 10, 2010
- Gujarat declines to shift its Asiatic lions to Madhya Pradesh - Apr 03, 2012
- Jairam Ramesh favours a second home for Asiatic lion - Jan 28, 2011
- Tiger cub dies in Bhopal - Nov 22, 2011
- Jairam Ramesh hopes for second home for Asiatic Lions - Jan 27, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh pitches hard for shifting Asiatic lions from Gujarat - Apr 16, 2012
- RTI activist Amit Jethwa shot dead in Gujarat - Jul 21, 2010
- Eleven black bucks found dead in Gujarat - May 12, 2010
- Four boys rescued from flash flood in Gujarat - Aug 19, 2010
- Lion eats cub in Gujarat's Gir forest - May 13, 2008