Two injured in Guwahati leopard attackJanuary 27th, 2012 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Jan 27 (IANS) Two persons, including a pregnant woman, were critically injured Friday by a leopard that strayed into a locality here, officials said.
This is the fourth incident of leopard attack in the city in less than a month.
According to an eye-witness, the leopard entered a house in Lakhra area and attacked a pregnant woman and a youth. The residents rushed to their aid and locked the leopard in one of the rooms of the house.
Later, officials from the Guwahati Central Zoo tranquilized the leopard and brought it to the State zoo, said the witness.
“It is a female leopard and is about two years old. It must have came down from the nearby Narakasur hills, where there is a small tiger population,” said S.K. Seal Sarma, divisional forest officer (DFO) of Guwahati Wildlife Division.
This is the second incident of leopard attack within a week. On Jan 25, another leopard had entered a warehouse near a school in the same locality. It was, however, tranquilized before it could attack anyone.
In another incident, a leopard had attacked three persons and seriously injured them in Pandu area of the city on Jan 20.
On Jan 7, three persons were injured in a leopard attack in Silpukhuri area. One of them later succumbed to his injuries at a city hospital.
- Leopard strikes again in Guwahati - Jan 20, 2012
- Leopard strays into Guwahati, injures three - Jan 20, 2012
- Leopard strays into heart of Guwahati, mauls three people - Jan 07, 2012
- Villagers kill stray leopard in Assam - Feb 29, 2012
- Leopard creates scare in Raipur, injures two - Mar 17, 2011
- Sweeden's park where wolves killed Zookeeper now offers "wild encounters" to its visitors - Jun 19, 2012
- Leopard attacks villagers, forest officials near Ranthambore National Park - Nov 27, 2010
- Leopard mauls croc keeper to death in China zoo - Jul 19, 2012
- Leopard beaten to death in Ghaziabad - Feb 15, 2011
- Man-animal conflict: Assam forms response teams - Mar 30, 2012
- Tiger shot dead in Assam - Nov 23, 2010
- Wolves kill zoo keeper at Swedish zoo - Jun 18, 2012
- Villagers vent leopard attack ire on forest officials - Apr 09, 2011
- Haryana to penalise people harming leopards - Feb 25, 2011
- Leopard strays into Nashik colony, attacks three - Mar 26, 2012