Two elephants hit by train in north BengalJune 26th, 2011 - 10:35 pm ICT by IANS
Siliguri (West Bengal), June 26 (IANS) Two elephants were seriously injured when they were hit by an express train while crossing the railway track in the Dooars forest area in Jalpaiguri district of West Bengal early Sunday, an official said.
The two pachyderms were knocked down by the Down Asansol Express when they were crossing the track in the Red Bank Tea Garden area of Banerhat in the Dooars (foothills of the Himalayas in north Bengal), said District Forest Officer Jalpaiguri Kallol Das.
Forest officials say that another elephant could also have been injured, but were yet to confirm this.
One of the two animals was an eight-year-old female. She was rescued and was being treated for multiple fractures, including in the backbone, at the Gorumara National Park.
The other elephant fled to the nearby Diana Jungles and rescue teams were being sent to find it, Das said.
Seven elephants were mowed down on Sep 22 on the same track between Jalpaiguri and Alipurduar. At least 33 elephants have been killed on this track by trains in 11 years.
- Elephant hit by train dies, another very critical - Jul 01, 2011
- Hit by train, another elephant dies - Jul 04, 2011
- One tusker killed, one critically injured as trains hit them - Nov 16, 2010
- Trying to save young ones, seven elephants mowed down by train - Sep 23, 2010
- Railways blames elephants for straying - Sep 24, 2010
- Ramesh to visit site where train killed tuskers - Sep 28, 2010
- Speeding train kills elephants in Jalpaiguri - Sep 23, 2010
- Mamata regrets mowing down of elephants by train - Sep 24, 2010
- Railways not responsible for elephant deaths: Mamata - Nov 16, 2010
- Elephant gives birth to calf in Gorumara National Park in West Bengal - Sep 04, 2010
- Will meet Mamata to discuss elephants' deaths: Ramesh - Oct 01, 2010
- Tusker killed after being hit by train - Aug 09, 2010
- PETA moots speed guns against trains that kill tuskers - Oct 05, 2010
- Shutdown in Bengal's Terai, Dooars evokes mixed response - Apr 23, 2012
- Eight injured in bison attack in north Bengal - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: 11 years, backbone, diana, dooars, elephant, elephants, express train, forest area, forest officer, forest officials, fractures, himalayas, jungles, kallol, north bengal, pachyderms, railway track, siliguri, tea garden, west bengal