Tuskers spread terror in Chhattisgarh’s forested regionAugust 3rd, 2008 - 5:08 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Aug 3 (IANS) A seven-year-old girl was trampled to death by a wild tusker in a forested stretch in Chhattisgarh, taking to eight the number of people killed by rogue elephants since June. Villagers have held demonstrations to demand that the wild elephants be hunted down. The latest casualty was reported late Saturday in Korba district’s Karatala block when the girl along with her parents was gathering wood in the jungle. She was killed by a tusker.
Villagers of Rangadha, where the girl belonged, have reiterated their demand that wild elephants roaming around the forested region of Korba district be hunted down.
The thick forested northern region, comprising Surguja, Korba, Raigarh, Jashpur and Korea district, are notorious for human-elephant conflict incidents. The region has witnessed seven killings of tribals and widespread damages to houses and crops by rogue elephants since June.
O.P. Yadav, divisional forest officer, Jashpur, told IANS Sunday that expert hunters from West Bengal would be reaching Jashpur soon to hunt a killer elephant there with a tranquilizer gun.
After hundreds of villagers of Jashpur district held an indefinite road blockade with the body of an elderly man killed by an elephant last week, the state government issued an order to hunt down the elephant.
The government pays villagers millions of rupees in compensation for the loss of human lives and damage caused to houses and crops. Sometimes villagers migrate to safer places for a week or more to avoid the sudden night-time attacks of the wild elephants.
- Elephants demolish a dozen houses in Chhattisgarh village - Jan 12, 2011
- Jumbos kill 26 in Chhattisgarh in one year - Feb 22, 2011
- Chhattisgarh villagers migrate as elephants run amok - Oct 08, 2010
- Jumbos' terror back to haunt Chhattisgarh tribals - Sep 26, 2011
- Wild jumbos gatecrash school to party - Aug 31, 2011
- 7,028 jumbo attacks in Chhattisgarh in 7 months - Sep 09, 2011
- Jumbo herd moves in, families flee in Chhattisgarh - Jul 18, 2011
- Tribal families spend nights outside due to wild jumbos - Jan 03, 2012
- Elephants killed six in Chhattisgarh in 2010 - Dec 08, 2010
- Angry villagers block road as jumbos run amok - Jun 28, 2010
- Jumbos give Chhattisgarh villagers sleepless nights - Dec 20, 2010
- Jumbos kill 116 in Chhattisgarh in five years - Mar 01, 2011
- Chhattisgarh minister on tour to tackle man-elephant conflict - Nov 17, 2010
- Wild elephants trample man to death - Jan 05, 2010
- Wild jumbos cause panic in Chattisgarh village - Mar 26, 2010
Tags: chhattisgarh, crops, elderly man, elephant, forest officer, forested region, killings, korba, korea district, night time, old girl, road blockade, rogue elephants, rupees, spread terror, state government, tranquilizer gun, west bengal, wild elephants, wild tusker