Tropical Storm Paula forms in the northwestern CaribbeanOctober 12th, 2010 - 3:05 am ICT by BNO News
MIAMI (BNO NEWS) — Tropical Storm Paula formed in the northwestern Caribbean on late Monday afternoon, forecasters said, making it the 16th tropical storm of the 2010 Atlantic hurricane season.
As of 4 p.m. EDT on Monday, the center of the storm was located near the northeastern coast of Honduras where it is moving northeastward at 10 miles (16 kilometers) per hour towards the Yucatán Peninsula in southeastern Mexico, which separates the Caribbean Sea from the Gulf of Mexico.
Earlier on Monday afternoon, Robbie Berg, a forecaster at the Miami-based National Hurricane Center, said Tropical Paula appeared to be forming near the coast of Honduras. “There is a high chance, near 100 percent, of this system becoming a tropical cyclone,” he said at 2 p.m. EDT.
The National Hurricane Center will start issuing advisories on Paula at 5 p.m. EDT. “Watches and/or warnings will be required for portions of the coast of Honduras, Belize, and the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico,” Berg said.
As a result of Paula, heavy rainfall is possible over portions of Nicaragua, Honduras, Belize, the Yucatan Peninsula, the Cayman Islands, and Western Cuba during the next couple of days. After that, the storm is expected to move into the Gulf of Mexico and possibly strengthen into a category one hurricane.
- Hurricane warnings issued as Tropical Storm Paula forms in the northwestern Caribbean - Oct 12, 2010
- Category two hurricane Paula takes aim for Cuba - Oct 13, 2010
- Tropical Storm Karl forms over the northwestern Caribbean Sea, warnings issued - Sep 15, 2010
- Hurricane Paula Strengthens to Category 2 off Yucatan - Oct 13, 2010
- Tropical storm Rina could strengthen in the next couple of days - Oct 24, 2011
- Tropical storm Bret forms near the Bahamas, watch in effect - Jul 18, 2011
- Tropical Storm Richard forms over the Caribbean Sea - forecasters - Oct 21, 2010
- Tropical storm Alex expected to become a hurricane - Jun 30, 2010
- Tropical Storm Karl to hit Yucatan Peninsula, bringing sustained winds of up to 65 mph - Sep 15, 2010
- Hurricane Paula Makes Way Towards Mexico - Oct 13, 2010
- Tropical Depression 15 forms over the south-central Caribbean Sea - NHC - Sep 24, 2010
- Tropical Storm Matthew May Hit Florida, Says Weather Office - Sep 24, 2010
- Hurricane Paula strengthens to category two - Oct 13, 2010
- Earl becomes a category four hurricane; Fiona forms in Atlantic - Aug 31, 2010
- Tropical Storm Alex moving towards Gulf of Mexico - Jun 29, 2010
Tags: atlantic hurricane season, bno, caribbean sea, center of the storm, couple of days, forecaster, forecasters, gulf of mexico, kilometers per hour, monday afternoon, national hurricane center, northeastern coast, rainfall, robbie berg, southeastern mexico, tropical cyclone, tropical storm, western cuba, yucatan peninsula