Tropical storm kills 11 in BangladeshMay 3rd, 2009 - 12:08 am ICT by IANS
Dhaka, May 2 (DPA) At least 11 people were killed and scores injured in Bangladesh as the season’s first northwester swept many parts of the country Saturday, officials said.
Most of the casualties were caused by the collapse of their thatched houses, and lightning. The storm damaged crops on a vast tract of land in the north and central part of the country.
Five people died in villages of centre-northern Jamalpur district while four died in Mymenshingh and two in eastern Comilla districts.
“The rescuers retrieved five bodies from remote villages of Melandaha and Madarganj sub-districts. Two of them died as lightning struck them while three others were killed due to collapse of their houses on them,” Kamal Krishna Bhattacharyya, the district administrator at Jamalpur, told DPA by telephone.
Many thatched houses collapsed, trees were uprooted and electric connections were snapped by the rainstorm, said Bhattacharyya who visited the storm-hit localities.
In Mymensingh four people were killed and two injured as lightning struck them while two others died in Comilla. The injured were undergoing treatment at different hospitals, police said.
The rainstorm came after more than a week of heatwave hit Bangladesh, leaving at least eight people dead from heatstroke and heat-related ailments. The scorching heat also caused a breakout of water-borne diseases across the country.
- Lightning kills four in Bangladesh - May 31, 2012
- Cyclonic storm kills seven, damages 16,000 houses - Apr 01, 2010
- Heat wave bakes US, dozens dead - Jul 08, 2012
- Seven killed in Bangladesh lightning strikes - May 27, 2011
- Lightning kills 10 in Bangladesh - Aug 11, 2012
- Scientists link extreme weather with climate change - Jul 03, 2011
- Thunderstorms, lightning leave 42 dead in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - May 21, 2011
- Three killed in Tripura rainstorm - Apr 29, 2012
- Lightning kills eight in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 29, 2011
- Lightning kills 6 in Howrah district - Apr 29, 2012
- Woman killed as lightning strikes UP village - Aug 31, 2012
- Three killed in Gangtok house collapse - Sep 23, 2011
- Cyclonic storm kills three, damages 1,000 houses in Tripura - May 17, 2010
- Three killed in Tripura cyclone - May 03, 2012
- Dust storm kills 21 people in Uttar Pradesh - May 23, 2011
Tags: ailments, breakout, casualties, collapse, crops, dhaka, district administrator, electric connections, heatstroke, jamalpur district, kamal, krishna, localities, northwester, rainstorm, rescuers, thatched houses, tropical storm, undergoing treatment, water borne diseases