Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead)June 11th, 2012 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar/Islamabad, June 11 (IANS) Moderate intensity tremors rocked the Kashmir Valley as well as Pakistan’s northwest province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Monday morning. No loss of life has been reported so far, Met officials said.
While tremors measuring 5.7-4.2 on the Richter scale were felt thrice in the Kashmir Valley, the Pakistani province recorded tremors only once. They were the first to occur, followed by three others in the Kashmir Valley.
The epicentres of all the four quakes were located in the Hindu Kush mountains of Afghanistan.
“The first quake occurred at 10.32 a.m., measuring 5.4 on the Richter scale. The coordinates of this quake were 36.7 degrees north and 69.9 degrees east,” Sonam Lotus, director of the meteorological office in Srinagar, said.
“This was followed by another quake, which occurred at 10.59 a.m., measuring 5.7 on the Richter scale. Its coordinates were 36.1 degrees north and 67.3 degrees east. The third quake, measuring 4.2 on the Richter scale, occurred at 2.02 p.m.” Lotus told IANS.
These were preceded by a 5.6-magnitude earthquake that jolted Pakistan’s northwest province of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa at about 10.20 a.m.
The quake was felt in the provincial capital of Peshawar and its adjoining areas, including Mardan, Charsadda and Nowshera, reported Xinhua citing the meteorological department.
The quakes created panic among the people but no loss of life was reported in both the countries.
Kashmir is an earthquake prone region, and in the past quakes have caused major devastations here. In 2005, an earthquake measuring 7.9 on the Richter scale killed more than 40,000 people on both sides of the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir.
Northern and northwestern Pakistan is also located in one of the most earthquake prone areas.
- Temblor shakes Kashmir, Pakistan, Afghanistan; no loss of life (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- Moderate intensity tremors rock Kashmir (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Moderate intensity tremors rock Kashmir (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Low intensity quake shakes Kashmir - May 10, 2012
- Moderate intensity tremor rocks Kashmir (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Quake rocks Pakistan - Mar 12, 2012
- 5.7 magnitude earthquake in Kashmir - Mar 21, 2011
- Quake rocks Kashmir - Sep 24, 2011
- Moderate quake jolts Jammu and Kashmir - Mar 23, 2011
- Moderate tremor jolts Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011
- 5.6-magniude quake jolts Pakistan - Mar 21, 2011
- Quake hits Afghanistan, tremors felt in north India (Lead) - Sep 18, 2010
- Moderate earthquake jolts Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 14, 2012
- 6.3 magnitude quake rocks Kashmir - Jul 12, 2012
- Two low-intensity tremors rock Kashmir Valley - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: charsadda, devastations, earthquake prone areas, hindu kush mountains, jammu and kashmir, kashmir valley, khyber, magnitude earthquake, mardan, meteorological department, meteorological office, moderate intensity, northwest province, northwestern pakistan, nowshera, pakistani province, prone region, richter scale, sonam, valley northwest