Traffic restored on Jammu-Srinagar highwayDecember 9th, 2011 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Dec 9 (IANS) The Jammu-Srinagar national highway which was closed to vehicular traffic early Friday has been reopened, an official said,
“Traffic was restricted on the Jammu-Srinagar national highway today (Friday) morning because of snowfall in the Jawahar Tunnel area of the road,” a senior traffic police official told IANS here.
“Snow clearance machines were moved out by the Border Roads Organisation in the morning and the traffic was restored on the highway in the afternoon,” he added.
The over 250-km long Jammu-Srinagar highway is the lifeline of supplies for the Valley.
During the winter months, the highway often gets closed because of snowfall in the Jawahar Tunnel area and landslides in the Panthal road patch.
The valley received the second snowfall of the season Friday while rains lashed the plains.
Reports from the north Kashmir’s Sonamarg tourist resort and Gulmarg ski resort, and south Kashmir’s Pahalgam hill station said a light snowfall occurred at these places Friday.
The weather office has forecast light to moderate snow and rain in the valley Saturday after which the weather is expected to improve.
- A day of rain, snow in northern India - Jan 06, 2012
- Heavy snowfall starts in Kashmir; Srinagar-Jammu highway closed - Feb 06, 2010
- Fresh snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Apr 05, 2011
- Snowfall in north Kashmir, Ladakh continues to freeze - Jan 09, 2011
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway re-opened to traffic - Feb 16, 2012
- Snowfall in Kashmir, Srinagar-Jammu highway closed - Jan 29, 2010
- Srinagar-Jammu highway opened for one-way traffic - Jan 01, 2011
- Srinagar-Jammu highway opened to one-way traffic - Jan 09, 2012
- Snow closes Jammu-Srinagar highway third day running - Feb 08, 2010
- Over 2,000 Kashmir-bound passengers stranded in Jammu - Jan 09, 2012
- Heavy snowfall halts life in Kashmir Valley - Jan 15, 2011
- Chill continues in Kashmir, snow and rain likely - Jan 28, 2011
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed for second day - Feb 05, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed due to landslides - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: border roads, friday morning, jawahar tunnel, kashmir, landslides, lifeline, light snowfall, moderate snow, north kashmir, pahalgam, police official, rain in the valley, snow clearance, sonamarg, south kashmir, tourist resort, traffic police, tunnel area, vehicular traffic, weather office