Traffic movement hit as heavy rain lashes DelhiAugust 5th, 2008 - 3:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 5 (IANS) People here woke up to a wet morning Tuesday as incessant rains, that started Monday afternoon, continued to lash the capital. The pleasant weather, however, turned ugly for many as traffic came to a standstill and office goers were stuck at many places.
Traffic snarls were reported from almost all parts of the capital. Commuters were stuck in massive jams near Dhaula Kuan flyover, ITO, Punjabi Bagh, Ashram Chowk and on Ring Road.
“It was drizzling when I left for office at 8:00 a.m. It started raining cats and dogs as I reached ITO. The traffic movement was so slow that it took me 30 minutes to cross the intersection,” said Sangeeta Singh, an executive in an IT company.
“Traffic movement was affected at many places. The roads in the capital have many potholes adding to the woes of drivers,” Joint Commissioner (Traffic) S.N. Shrivastava told IANS.
The traffic police have shot off letters to Municipal Corporation of Delhi, Public Works Department, National Highway Authority of India and New Delhi Municipal Corporation regarding the condition of over 150 potholed roads in the capital.
The capital has received 90.4 mm of rainfall since 8:30 p.m. Monday night, the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) said.
The IMD predicted a cloudy sky and rain or thundershowers in the next 24 hours.
- Torrential downpour leaves Delhi in traffic snarls, chaos (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Traffic snarls in Delhi after morning rain (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Rains lash Delhi again, commuter woes continue - Sep 16, 2011
- More rain in Delhi spells chaos on city roads (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- It rains chaos on Delhi roads again (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2010
- Scattered rain, traffic jams in Delhi (Lead) - Sep 09, 2011
- Rains lash capital, traffic snarls in several places - Aug 01, 2012
- Delhi wakes up to pleasant morning, rains expected - Aug 12, 2010
- Rains lash Delhi, commuters face difficulties again (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Heavy downpour in Delhi, traffic hit (Second Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi - Aug 29, 2012
- Season's heaviest rain halts Delhi - Aug 21, 2012
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- Chaos rules Delhi roads as rains continue - Jul 20, 2010
- Rains lash Delhi, chaos rules roads (Lead) - Jul 20, 2010