Tornado Warning Issued For Santa Clara, Withdrawn After No SightingJanuary 21st, 2010 - 9:01 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Santa Clara, Jan 21, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Warnings for a possible tornado was issued for the Santa Clara County on Wednesday, Jan 20, by the National Weather Service. The warning was issued for some other counties as well, like the Santa Cruz County and some parts of Monterey. Although it is obvious that the warning had indeed been issued, there is some contention regarding the exact time of the warning. While some sources report that the warning may have been issued around 2 in the afternoon, some others claim that it had been posted sometime around 2:30 the same day. Thankfully, there were no sightings of a tornado.
Facts about the duration of the tornado warning are not very clear either. According to some reports, the warning had lasted only for a mere three minutes, while some other reports claim that it had expired about 2:45 in the afternoon. Although the tornado had not been spotted, the officials of the National Weather Department reported, according to the readings on the radar, that a thunderstorm had formed, and that it had the capacity of producing tornadoes and hail.
According to the reports issued by the National Weather Service, the tornado was moving at a speed of about 35 m/h. People were asked to take cover in the basement or under some piece of strong furniture in case the tornado struck. Although the tornado did not unleashed its fury, strong wind was expected, along with rain. Also, it brought along with it high winds that caused many tress to uproot and power lines to fail, in both the counties of Santa Cruz and Monterey. According to the reports, wind blew at a velocity of up to 60m/h.
- NWS issues tornado warning for Santa Clara and Santa Cruz counties in California - Jan 21, 2010
- Tornado Warning In San Diego Canceled - Jan 20, 2010
- Tornado Warning Withdrawn In Phoenix - Jan 22, 2010
- Thunderstorm briefly prompts New York City tornado warning - Aug 28, 2011
- North Carolina Governor declares Severe Weather Awareness Week, Feb. 28 - March 6 - Feb 26, 2010
- Search for victims after deadly tornadoes in US - Mar 05, 2012
- Tornadoes kill 14 in US (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- 28 die as tornadoes rip US (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- No Casualties Reported In Aumsville Tornado - Dec 15, 2010
- Heavy storm moving toward US East Coast leaves 17 dead - Apr 17, 2011
- Contra Costa County, California tornado warning canceled - Jan 24, 2010
- 32 killed as tornadoes rip US (Third Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- At least seven killed, 85 injured after tornado outbreak in US Midwest - Jun 07, 2010
- Tornado in US city kills 116 - May 24, 2011
- US marks warmest March on record - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: contention, dey, exact time, high winds, jan 21, madhuri, monterey, national weather service, santa clara county, santa cruz county, sightings, sources report, strong wind, three minutes, thunderstorm, tornado facts, tornado warning, tornadoes, tress, weather department