Tornado In Flagstaff Causes MayhemOctober 7th, 2010 - 8:01 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Oct 7, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Northern Arizona was ravaged by 4 tornadoes yesterday and the resultant damage the state suffered was significant. The storms hit in the wee hours of dawn and when the residents woke up they were in for a shock. The first tornado had a speed of 110mph. After it passed over the place the residents came out on the roads with lights to see the extent of damage. The sight was rather frightening and the residents found twisted garage doors, smashed windows and widespread damage. However, no one received injury from the tornado.
The residents had more in store for them. The second Tornado hit soon after. It struck at the west of Flagstaff. A whopping 22 tornado warnings were put into effect on Wednesday. Arizona does not witness too many tornadoes a year. However, the residents rarely see a cluster of tornadoes hitting in quick succession in general and so they were taken aback. The methodologists also said that 4 tornadoes are seen rarely in the state. Ken Waters a meteorologist working in National Weather Service meteorologist said that northern Arizona is getting ravaged by storms rather frequently.
Bellemont was hit the hardest by the tornadoes. The roofs of the houses were torn off and many cars parked on the roads were turned around. Some houses got so badly hit by the tornadoes that the residents living in them had to be evacuated. The children who were sleeping were traumatized and the parents took them to safety. Many families escaped to the basement of their houses but those without any basement had to suffer the ravages.
- Damage reported after tornado touches down in Bellemont, Arizona - Oct 06, 2010
- 28 die as tornadoes rip US (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- 32 killed as tornadoes rip US (Third Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Oregon Tornado Leaves A Trail Of Massive Destruction - Dec 15, 2010
- Major tornado causes widespread damage in western Mississippi; tornado emergency continues - Apr 25, 2010
- Orange County Tornado Brings Life To A Standstill - Jan 20, 2010
- Mississippi Tornado Ravages More Than 13 Counties - Apr 25, 2010
- Tornado Hits Dallas, No Serious Damage Reported - Sep 09, 2010
- Tornado Hits Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan And Staten Islands - Sep 17, 2010
- Tornado Emergency Issued; Massive Damage Reported As Large Tornado Rages Through Western Mississippi - Apr 25, 2010
- Stephanie Decker loses her legs while saving her children from tornadoes - Mar 07, 2012
- At least five killed, dozens injured after tornado outbreak in Oklahoma - May 11, 2010
- Tornadoes kill 14 in US (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Large tornado causes widespread damage in western Mississippi - Apr 25, 2010
- Widespread School Closings Take Place In USA Owing To Rough Weather - Dec 10, 2009
Tags: dawn, extent, garage doors, ken waters, many cars, mayhem, meteorologist, national weather service, northern arizona, oct 7, parents, ranjan, resultant damage, roofs, shock, storms, succession, tornado warnings, tornadoes, wee hours