Tigress dies in Madhya Pradesh parkJune 4th, 2009 - 1:44 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, June 4 (IANS) A three-year-old tigress died at the Van Vihar National Park here, officials said Thursday. The park has lost 23 big cats in the last five years.
Tigress Ira was hale and hearty till Tuesday afternoon but was seen vomiting in the evening, Principal Chief Conservator of Forest (Wildlife) H.S. Pabla told IANS.
The animal was brought to the park in October 2006 from Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve also in Madhya Pradesh when she was five months old.
Pabla denied there was any laxity in treating the animal.
“Park doctor Atul Gupta contacted the veterinarians and started the treatment but extensive medical assistance by the administration could not save the tigress who died early Wednesday,” Pabla said.
Experts from the Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun, and the Veterinary College in Jabalpur were consulted, he said.
“She had high fever (106 degrees) and was breathing heavily. Intense heat might be the reason for her illness. Her vomiting could have caused suffocation,” said A.B. Srivastava, who led a three-member doctor’s team.
Added park director S.S. Rajput: “Autopsy revealed that the big cat suffered obstructed oxygen supply following vomiting. This often happens with humans but is rare among animals.”
A committee led by Srivastava will probe the cause of death.
A tiger cub brought to the park for treatment died April 15, 2009.
- Leopard dies in Bhopal national park - Jun 04, 2009
- Panna all set to welcome Kanha tigress - Mar 25, 2011
- NGO demands CBI inquiry into tigress death - May 18, 2011
- Another tiger cub dies in Bihar - Sep 03, 2012
- Tiger cub dies, two others critical - Aug 29, 2012
- Eight-year-old tigress dies at Van Vihar National Park - Jun 10, 2010
- Tigress found dead, three cubs missing in Bandhavgarh - Aug 20, 2009
- Kanha's second orphaned tigress sent to Panna reserve - Nov 13, 2011
- Panna has a new resident - Kanha's orphan tigress - Nov 13, 2011
- Kanha tigress finds new home in Panna forest - Mar 27, 2011
- Three tiger cubs spotted in Ranthambore - Jun 29, 2012
- Bandhavgarh tigress died due to vehicle hit, say officials - May 21, 2010
- Now, annual tiger assessment in every state - May 16, 2011
- Third tiger cub at Patna zoo also dead - Sep 04, 2012
- Panna to get two Kanha tiger princesses in December - Nov 24, 2010
Tags: animal park, atul, big cat, big cats, chief conservator, dehradun, forest wildlife, high fever, intense heat, laxity, madhya pradesh, member doctor, oxygen supply, pabla, park director, srivastava, tiger cub, tiger reserve, tigress, veterinary college