Tigress airlifted to Panna Tiger ReserveMarch 9th, 2009 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, March 9 (IANS) A tigress from the Kanha National Park was airlifted Monday to the Panna Tiger Reserve in eastern Madhya Pradesh so as to increase the feline numbers in the reserve.
The tigress taken by an Indian Air Force helicopter to the reserve spread in an area of 542 sq km in Panna and Chhatarpur districts of Madhya Pradesh Monday afternoon, forest officials said.
The tigress, aged between three to four years and weighing 130 kg, was tranquilized by veterinary doctors.
“All precautions were taken to take the tigress to Panna located at a distance of around 250 km from Kanha,” Chief Conservator of Forests H.S. Pabla, who supervised the entire shifting operation, told IANS.
Forest officials from Madhya Pradesh took on the exercise of shifting the feline from Kanha Tiger Reserve following reports of dwindling tiger population in the Panna reserve, forest department sources said.
Initially, the plan was to airlift the tigress Sunday but it could not materialize as the tigress could not be tranquilised despite efforts by the forest department team.
“The tigress was spotted but could not be tranquilised and in the process, the big cat disappeared into dense forest”, a forest official said.
The airlifting operation is the first of its kind in the state.
Last week a tigress was shifted to Panna from Bandhavgarh Tiger Reserve. An NGO in New Delhi claimed that apart from the two tigresses there are no other tigers in the reserve, while forest officials claim that there is a tiger in the reserve.
- Panna all set to welcome Kanha tigress - Mar 25, 2011
- Heavy rain delays translocation of Kanha tigress to Panna - Mar 26, 2011
- Kanha's second orphaned tigress sent to Panna reserve - Nov 13, 2011
- Kanha tigress finds new home in Panna forest - Mar 27, 2011
- Panna has a new resident - Kanha's orphan tigress - Nov 13, 2011
- Panna to get two Kanha tiger princesses in December - Nov 24, 2010
- Now, annual tiger assessment in every state - May 16, 2011
- Forest officials relocate tigress in Madhya Pradesh - Mar 11, 2009
- Whither 'Sher Khans' of Madhya Pradesh? - Mar 29, 2011
- Tigers in Kanha to be recounted - Apr 18, 2011
- Roaring news! Translocated tigress gives birth - Dec 17, 2011
- Tigress moved to Panna reserve by road - Mar 04, 2009
- Scouting for male company for Panna's tigresses! - Sep 24, 2009
- Madhya Pradesh now plans to shift tigers to Panna reserve - Mar 10, 2009
- Tigress from Bandhavgarh to be flown to Panna this week - Mar 02, 2009
Tags: 130 kg, air force helicopter, airlift, bhopal, big cat, chief conservator, dense forest, forest department, forest officials, indian air force, kanha national park, kanha tiger reserve, monday afternoon, New Delhi, ngo, pabla, tiger population, tigress, tigresses, veterinary doctors