Tiger skin recovered from Sundarbans, two arrestedMarch 25th, 2009 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 25 (IANS) West Bengal forest officials Wednesday said they have arrested two people for allegedly smuggling a tiger skin from the Sundarbans Tiger Reserve (STR).
“We arrested two persons from Sundarbans late Tuesday night who were smuggling out a skin of a full-grown tiger from the forest territory,” South 24-Parganas Divisional Forest Officer S. Bandhopadhyay told reporters here.
The forest official said the tiger skin would be sent for a DNA test.
“We are investigating if these people have any connection with any international smuggling chain. We are looking into all aspects to get more information about the racket,” he said.
The accused were presented before the Alipur Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) Wednesday afternoon.
According to forest department sources, the tiger was poached somewhere in the Sundarbans.
- Four held for poaching tiger, smuggling wildlife goods - Nov 16, 2010
- Tiger skins seized in Punjab, two Karnataka women held - Dec 29, 2010
- Woman killed by tiger in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 05, 2011
- One held with spotted deer skins in Bengal - Mar 08, 2011
- Tigers facing doom in Bangladesh? - Jul 30, 2011
- Three arrested with tiger skin - Nov 25, 2009
- Tigers sneak out of Sundarbans forest in West Bengal - Jan 03, 2010
- Bengal tiger which killed three goats trapped - Oct 23, 2010
- Two women arrested in Punjab for smuggling tiger skins - Dec 29, 2010
- Three arrested with tiger skins in Chhattisgarh - Apr 20, 2012
- Tiger census to be released March 28 - Mar 09, 2011
- Dead leopard found in jungle warfare campus - Mar 07, 2012
- Poachers held with four deer heads in Bangladesh - Jul 19, 2011
- Three Indian fishermen killed by Bangladeshi pirates - Jan 28, 2012
- Leopard skin seized in Assam - Apr 06, 2012
Tags: dna test, forest department, forest officer, forest officials, forest territory, judicial magistrate, march 25, sundarbans, territory south, tiger, tiger reserve, tiger skin, tuesday night, two persons, wednesday afternoon, west bengal