Tiger poacher convicted in Madhya PradeshJune 18th, 2009 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 18 (IANS) A Madhya Pradesh court Thursday sentenced a tiger poacher to three years of rigorous imprisonment and a fine of Rs.10,000, officials said Thursday.
Dariya (only the first name was given) was convicted Thursday by a court in Katni in Madhya Pradesh, the NGO Wildlife Protection Society of India (WPSI) said in a statement here.
The accused was arrested by the Katni Forest Division Nov 27, 2008, after a tip-off given by WPSI, the statement said.
Tiger and leopard traps, a cheetal skin, antlers, a spear and other poaching equipments were seized from his possession following his capture.
While pronouncing the sentence, Judicial Magistrate Umar Shankar Agarwal observed that the traps appeared to have no other use than killing wild animals, as leopard hair were found on one of the traps that were confirmed by forensic experts, according to the statement.
Dariya has been previously booked in four different tiger and leopard poaching cases in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. He also served a five-and-a-half month jail term in Bahraich in Uttar Pradesh in another case in 2005.
After being released from jail, he was again wanted in another case of tiger skin seizure near the Nepal border in 2006. The tiger is thought to have been killed in the Valmiki Tiger Reserve in Bihar.
- Tiger poacher denied bail in Madhya Pradesh - Dec 05, 2008
- Leopard poachers get six years' jail - Nov 15, 2010
- Tiger poacher arrested in Uttarakhand - Nov 19, 2009
- Two poachers held with leopard skins in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 27, 2010
- Poachers held with leopard skin - Feb 10, 2011
- Fighting chance for India's tigers: Poaching declines - Feb 08, 2012
- This year, 130 leopards poached in India (With Images) - Sep 04, 2010
- This year, 130 leopards poached in India (Lead, With Images) - Sep 04, 2010
- Two leopard skins, bear gall bladder seized in Uttarakhand - Sep 16, 2010
- Leopard skins, bear gall bladder seized in Uttarakhand - Sep 30, 2011
- Apex court dismisses poacher Sansar Chand's appeal - Oct 20, 2010
- 43 jailed for smuggling animal parts in Madhya Pradesh - Jan 09, 2009
- Now, tigers and leopards targeted by Maoists - Sep 12, 2012
- Three arrested with leopard skins in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 18, 2010
- Poacher Sansar Chand faces apex court's wrath - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: bahraich, dariya, forensic experts, forest division, jail term, judicial magistrate, leopard, madhya pradesh, New Delhi, ngo, possession, rigorous imprisonment, seizure, spear, tiger, tiger skin, valmiki tiger reserve, wild animals, wildlife protection, wpsi