Tiger on prowl near Lucknow finally trappedApril 25th, 2012 - 7:34 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 25 (IANS) A tiger, which was on the prowl for nearly three months on the outskirts of the state capital, was finally caught Wednesday, said a forest department official.
The tiger, which was first spotted in a village near the state capital on January 9, had earned the epithet ‘Badshaah’ from people, for eluding traps for 108 days despite several concerted attempts by the forest department to catch it.
“The forest department pursued the tiger for 108 days and finally it has been caught today. Thankfully, it did not attack people during this time,” District Forest Officer (Avadh) Ashok Mishra told IANS.
During its free run, the big cat devoured over two dozen animals put as bait, and terrorised people in villages of Basti Dhaneva, Hafiz Kheda, Rahmat Nagar, Ulrapur and Meethenagar close to the capital city, Mishra said.
During one of the most taxing wildlife pursuits undertaken by the Uttar Pradesh forest department in recent times, over two dozen experts were brought in from Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Delhi to cage the big cat, according to the official.
However, the tiger proved elusive, prompting Minister of State for Forests and Wildlife Shiv Pratap Yadav to fix a 15-day deadline for officials to catch it.
Finally, the tiger was tranquilised in the Rehman Kheda jungle while it was feeding on a buffalo put as bait. “The tiger was trapped in an iron cage and sent to Lakhimpur Kheri where it will be released in the wild,” Mishra said.
- Leopard 'evicted' from Mumbai school after 20 hrs - Apr 22, 2012
- Trapped Sundarbans tiger to be released Sunday - Mar 20, 2010
- Leopard pays a visit to Hema Malini's bungalow - May 27, 2011
- Man-eater leopard trapped alive by wildlife enthusiast - Nov 18, 2011
- 'Man-killer' tiger to be tranquilised - Aug 28, 2010
- Tiger terrorises Chhattisgarh's forest residents - Sep 18, 2011
- Tiger on prowl in Lucknow's neighbourhood - Jan 10, 2012
- Efforts intensified to trap leopards near Tirupati temple - Aug 06, 2010
- Odisha releases captured leopard after protests - Aug 08, 2012
- Three tiger cubs spotted in Ranthambore - Jun 29, 2012
- Leopard enters Hema Malini's bungalow, vanishes (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Odisha to release captured leopard into wild - Aug 07, 2012
- Highly endangered cat species spotted in Corbett - Aug 12, 2011
- Leopard captured in Odisha made to 'entertain' locals - Jul 09, 2012
- Tiger on the prowl causes scare in Mathura - Oct 05, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,