Tiger mauls zookeeper in ChileJuly 31st, 2012 - 11:06 am ICT by IANS
Santiago, July 31 (IANS/EFE) A zookeeper was mauled and seriously injured over the weekend at Chile’s Santiago zoo by a white tiger who was later killed, officials said.
The attack occurred around 9 a.m. Sunday at the zoo, which is in the north-central part of the capital and had not yet opened to the public.
“The tiger attacked an official, Jose Silva, who has been doing this work for 25 years and is an expert in this field,” Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Rodrigo Perez Mackenna, whose ministry operates the zoo, told reporters.
The tiger, whose name was “Pampa” and had arrived at the zoo seven years ago from Buenos Aires, attacked the zookeeper both inside and outside the enclosure.
Zoo employees shot the tiger, officials said.
“We have to look at what happened to determine exactly what the reasons are why the tiger escaped. There were no failures with the infrastructure,” zoo director Mauricio Fabry said.
The zookeeper sustained “an apparently more serious wound in the shoulder”, Perez Mackenna said.
- Three die in Colombian plane crash - Mar 19, 2012
- Earthquake rocks Chile - Sep 10, 2010
- Wolves kill zoo keeper at Swedish zoo - Jun 18, 2012
- Buenos Aires zoo faces uncertain future - Jul 16, 2012
- Julio Iglesias kicks off concert tour in Chile - Apr 08, 2012
- Chile quake toll rises to 82 - Feb 28, 2010
- Tiger kills gardener in China zoo - Oct 15, 2010
- Blast in shopping mall in Argentina - Sep 17, 2010
- Four die in 50-vehicle pile-up in Chile - Oct 13, 2011
- Militants burn down government chopper in Chile - Dec 31, 2011
- Puerto Rican band taps Oscar winner to direct video - Apr 17, 2012
- Dead tiger to be stuffed, put on display at Honduran zoo - Feb 02, 2012
- Seven die in Argentina building collapse - Mar 24, 2012
- Chile mudslide leaves 3,000 stranded - May 31, 2012
- Two tigers escape from Guwahati zoo, tranquilised later - Jan 30, 2010
Tags: affairs minister, aires, chile santiago, efe, infrastructure, jose silva, mackenna, pampa, rodrigo perez, seven years, tiger, tiger mauls zookeeper, urban affairs, white tiger, zoo director, zoo employees