Tiger, leopard skins seized in Tamil NaduApril 6th, 2009 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Dindigul (Tamil Nadu), April 6 (IANS) Skins of a tiger and a leopard have been seized from three people by forest officials here.
“The skins were seized from three wildlife traders in a joint operation carried out by the Tamil Nadu forest department and Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) Sunday,” Wildlife Trust of India, an NGO, said in a statement Monday.
All three accused have been arrested, said the NGO, which tipped-off the authorities about their activities.
The accused were nabbed when they arrived at a designated spot to deliver the contraband to a decoy customer.
The accused reportedly attacked the forest officials on realising that the deal was a trap. One of the officers received minor injury in the incident.
The entire operation involved months of surveillance. The traders were contacted through a decoy customer, the NGO said.
“As per our records, at least 16 tiger and 31 leopard skins were seized across India last year. The seizures have continued this year as well, which is an indicator that tigers and leopards are being poached from the wild,” Ashok Kumar, vice-chairman, WTI, said in the statement.
- Five held with tiger, leopard skins - Feb 09, 2012
- Two leopard skins, bear gall bladder seized in Uttarakhand - Sep 16, 2010
- Leopard skins, bear gall bladder seized in Uttarakhand - Sep 30, 2011
- This year, 130 leopards poached in India (With Images) - Sep 04, 2010
- Woman gets five-year jail for trading in tiger parts - Apr 07, 2011
- Three held with leopard skins - Jul 07, 2010
- Wildlife trader gets six-year jail - Aug 25, 2010
- This year, 130 leopards poached in India (Lead, With Images) - Sep 04, 2010
- Fighting chance for India's tigers: Poaching declines - Feb 08, 2012
- Leopard skin seized in Assam - Apr 06, 2012
- Three arrested with tiger skins in Chhattisgarh - Apr 20, 2012
- Interpol seizes two tonnes of elephant ivory - Jun 20, 2012
- 12 get jail for trading in tiger parts - May 25, 2010
- 20 wild animal skins seized in Uttarakhand - Jun 04, 2010
- Wildlife crime control detectives unearth poaching ring - Aug 10, 2009
Tags: ashok kumar, authorities, crime control, decoy, forest department, forest officials, leopard skins, leopards, ngo, realising, seizures, surveillance, tiger, tigers, trust of india, vice chairman, wccb, wildlife crime, wildlife trust, wti