Tiger cub dies, two others criticalAugust 29th, 2012 - 3:34 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Aug 29 (IANS) The Patna Zoological Park had reason to celebrate in July after tigress Swarna gave birth to three cubs. Just a month later, however, there is a pall of gloom here after one cub died Tuesday and two others battle severe infection.
On Aug 15, an Asiatic lion cub had died in the Patna Zoo after being injured by its mother.
“One of the tiger cubs died due to severe infection Tuesday night. Two others are critically ill,” a zoo official said.
Zoo director Abhay Kumar said his team was doing everything possible to save the cubs. “They are under constant expert supervision,” Kumar said.
Abhijit Bhawal, a doctor from the Wildlife Trust of India, Guwahati, has been called to treat the cubs.
Zoo officials as well visitors were thrilled when the cubs were born in July.
The birth of these three cubs made national news as it was after 19 years that a tigress had given birth here.
The last births of tiger cubs at the Patna zoo was in 1993. Breeding of tigers in captivity is extremely rare, a zoo official said.
Last year, two tigers and a tigress were brought here from the Hyderabad zoo.
- Another tiger cub dies in Bihar - Sep 03, 2012
- Third tiger cub at Patna zoo also dead - Sep 04, 2012
- The only white tigress of Patna zoo dies - Jul 03, 2011
- Ligers Bred In Taiwan To Be Confiscated By Authorties - Aug 16, 2010
- Three lion cubs die at Chhattisgarh zoo - Aug 03, 2012
- Tigress gives birth to one cub - Nov 21, 2011
- Tiger cubs found in Tripura - Apr 09, 2011
- Leopard, lion die in Bangalore zoo - Oct 24, 2010
- Kanha's second orphaned tigress sent to Panna reserve - Nov 13, 2011
- Tiger cub spotted in Sariska - Aug 08, 2012
- Roaring news! Translocated tigress gives birth - Dec 17, 2011
- Four tiger cubs born in Chhattisgarh zoo - Jun 22, 2011
- Tiger cub dies in Bhopal - Nov 22, 2011
- Panna has a new resident - Kanha's orphan tigress - Nov 13, 2011
- Bhopal zoo to get 10th Royal Bengal Tiger - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: 19 years, abhay, asiatic lion, expert supervision, gloom, guwahati, hyderabad zoo, lion cub, pall, swarna, tiger cub, tiger cubs, tigers in captivity, tigress, trust of india, two tigers, wildlife trust, zoo director, zoo officials, zoological park