Tiger census in Jharkhand stalled due to MaoistsApril 25th, 2010 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, April 25 (IANS) A tiger census has been stalled midway in Jharkhand’s Palamau Tiger Reserve due to presence of Maoists in forests, an official said Sunday.
“We are unable to monitor tigers due to strong presence of the Maoists. The work has been stalled and we are seeking help from local people for the tiger census,” Manoj Singh, director of Palamau Tiger Reserve, told IANS over telephone.
“We are trying to complete the census by May-end. The data will then be sent to the Wildlife Institute of India (WII),” said Singh.
The reserve is spread over an area of about 1,100 sq km. As per a census in 1974, there were 50 tigers in the reserve. The wild cat population today stands at 17.
According to another forest official, appeals have been made to Maoists through local people not to disturb the tiger census. “We are asking local people to persuade Maoists to allow census scientists venture into deep forest for collecting data,” said the official on condition of anonymity.
The reserve has around 200 elephants. The fauna found in the reserve includes deer, monkeys, peacocks, hens and rabbits.
- Just six tigers left in Palamau Tiger Reserve - Nov 02, 2010
- Three tiger cubs spotted in Ranthambore - Jun 29, 2012
- Animals face soaring mercury, forest fires - Apr 22, 2010
- Chandigarh to conduct its first-ever wildlife census - Dec 08, 2010
- Survey confirms tiger presence in Mizoram's Dampa reserve - Apr 25, 2012
- Over 200 or 70: Difference in Sundarbans tiger numbers? - Mar 28, 2011
- Tourism at Odisha sanctuary falls prey to Maoists - May 11, 2012
- Goa may add to India's tiger numbers - Apr 17, 2011
- Two tiger cubs spotted at Ranthambore National Park - Apr 25, 2011
- Sariska to get two Ranthambore tiger cubs - Jul 29, 2011
- Maoists , poachers behind decrease in tiger numbers in Jharkhand : Forest officials - Feb 16, 2011
- Evidence of tiger presence in Goa: Official - Oct 02, 2010
- Tiger census in Madhya Pradesh starts Wednesday - Feb 09, 2010
- Is Sukhna sanctuary in Chandigarh home to leopards? - Dec 21, 2010
- 'Gandhigiri' to protect tigers in Maharashtra (With Images) - Jul 01, 2012
Tags: anonymity, cat population, census, deep forest, deer, elephants, fauna, forests, hens, manoj, maoists, monkeys, palamau tiger reserve, peacocks, rabbits, scientists, tiger, tigers, wii, wild cat