Thunder squall disrupts train, Metro services in KolkataApril 9th, 2012 - 11:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 9 (IANS) A thunder squall in Kolkata and its adjoining areas uprooted trees that blocked roads and disrupted train and Metro railways services Monday evening.
The squall, which hit the city and its adjoining areas at around 7 p.m., snapped power in parts of Sealdah South section of Eastern Railway, after a tree branch fell on an overhead wire between Bagha Jatin and Garia stations, sources said.
The Kolkata Metro services were hit between Tollygunge and New Garia stations after a tree fell near the latter station.
Several important arterial roads, including the Eastern Metropolitan Bypass-Ajaynagar crossing, Rawdon Street Harish Mukherjee Road-Hazra Road crossing were blocked due to fallen trees.
Traffic movement was stalled or painstakingly slow on all the roads, inconveniencing commuters.
“There are no reports of any death or injury so far,” said an officer manning the city police control room.
The disaster management teams of the state government and Kolkata Municipal Corporation employees were working to clear the roads.
- Automatic signaling system introduced on Kolkata Metro - Apr 08, 2012
- Kolkata Metro gets automatic signalling system - Apr 22, 2012
- Kolkata Metro to have smart card recharging machines - Jun 08, 2012
- Hospital, stadium: Mamata's tribute to Bengal's celluloid fraternity - Aug 22, 2009
- Incessant rains disrupt normal life in Bengal - Jun 17, 2011
- Power outage in West Bengal, many trains stranded (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Two Kolkata Metro coaches derail, services hit (Lead) - Oct 20, 2010
- Seven trains cancelled after Bengal accident - Aug 01, 2011
- Mamata Banerjee inaugurates new Kolkata Metro stretch - Aug 22, 2009
- One dead in Bengal train collision, Railways announce compensation (Lead) - Jan 08, 2012
- Train movement hit in Bengal - Mar 30, 2012
- Parts of Kolkata waterlogged after rains - Apr 06, 2012
- Mamata unfurls tri-colour, sends sweets to prisoners - Aug 15, 2011
- One dead in Bengal train collision - Jan 08, 2012
- Wheels of Kolkata Metro turn towards massive expansion - Jun 19, 2011
Tags: arterial roads, city police, commuters, disaster management, eastern railway, garia, jatin, management teams, metro services, overhead wire, railways, squall, state government, traffic movement, train, trees