Three white tigers have a roaring birthday!August 1st, 2008 - 1:48 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Aug 1 (IANS) Rishi, Sitesh and Prachi may have wondered what the fuss was all about, but the fourth birthday of these endangered white tigers at the Nandankanan zoo here Friday was certainly a special occasion for people around them! “We have put up a display board at the reception, highlighting their birthday,” A.K. Patnaik, director of the zoo located on the outskirts of the Orissa capital, told IANS.
As birthday gifts, new furniture was placed in the enclosures of the tigers - a bench and a cot for them to rest on and wooden logs to have the pleasure of digging in their claws!
“The tigers were also given a good bath and a special treat of chicken by their keepers. Otherwise on a regular basis, they are given buffalo meat.”
Of course, no birthday celebration is complete without a cake. “So a specially made cake was cut in the presence of schoolchildren and other visitors,” Patnaik said.
“We also disseminated information in Oriya and English at the enclosures to generate awareness and general information on the tiger, its status and conservation efforts,” he said.
White tigers are endangered animals. At present, there are only about 200 white tigers in the world. Nandankanan was established in 1960 and is home to 27 tigers, including 10 white ones.
- Gifts, cake and a happy birthday for three white tigers! (Lead) - Aug 01, 2008
- Five tiger cubs die in Odisha's Nandankanan zoo - Nov 18, 2011
- White tiger succumbs to tumor at Nandankanan zoo - Jan 23, 2012
- Orissa zoo celebrates tiger cubs' birthday - Oct 20, 2009
- Orissa zoo to celebrate tiger cubs' birthday - Oct 19, 2009
- Odisha orders probe into five tiger cubs' death - Nov 21, 2011
- Coolers, sheds, mangos...beating summer blues at Delhi Zoo - May 09, 2012
- Orissa zoo launches special summer menu for animals - May 16, 2011
- Coolers help zoo animals beat heat - Mar 19, 2010
- Delhi Zoo becomes virtual island, agencies pass buck - Sep 11, 2011
- Coolers, sprinklers, glucose to help Delhi Zoo beat heat - May 05, 2011
- Nandankanan Zoo celebrates birthday of two tiger cubs - Oct 20, 2009
- Orissa zoo gears up for birth of chimpanzee - Oct 12, 2009
- Man eaten alive in tiger enclosure - Jul 11, 2012
- Rajkot Zoo sets up top-open enclosures for leopards - May 29, 2010
Tags: bench, birthday celebration, birthday gifts, buffalo meat, conservation efforts, cot, endangered white tigers, nandankanan zoo, new furniture, orissa, oriya, outskirts, pleasure, prachi, rishi, schoolchildren, special occasion, tiger, what the fuss, wooden logs