Three killed in lightning strike in Agra, Yamuna floodedAugust 30th, 2012 - 8:40 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Aug 30 (IANS) One family took the brunt of the heavy downpour here Thursday morning as three adults of the family were killed in a lightning strike and two children were injured as their house collapsed in Burhan village, 30 km from here.
The district administration later announced ex-gratia relief to surviving kin.
In Achnera area, three cows and a woman died of electrocution after heavy showers snapped transmission wires from the pole.
The unexpected and heavy downpour disrupted routine activity. Some schools declared it a “rainy day” and sent children home.
The Yamuna river now flows just two feet below the low flood danger level.
Heavy discharges from the barrages upstream have sent alarm signals.
District authorities discussed flood control measures, and villages in the Bah tehsil have been alerted as the Yamuna could spill over into low ravines.
Irrigation department officials said Hathini Kund, Tajewala, Okhla, Hindon and Gokul Barrages were discharging heavily.
By Friday evening, it is likely that the Yamuna in Agra could touch the low danger mark of 495 feet.
At Vrindavan, the flood waters of the Yamuna were lapping at the historical ghats. The new colonies in the low-lying areas are in danger of waterlogging.
- Yamuna above danger mark in Agra - Aug 21, 2011
- Yamuna, Chambal rivers in spate - Aug 25, 2012
- Yamuna nears danger mark in Agra - Aug 28, 2010
- Swollen Yamuna poses flood threat to Agra - Sep 12, 2010
- Agra monuments, colonies flooded as Yamuna level rise - Sep 26, 2010
- Yamuna water rising, flood situation grim in Agra - Sep 24, 2010
- Yamuna below danger mark at Delhi - Aug 20, 2011
- Flooded Yamuna brings on Janmashtami fervour in Braj - Sep 01, 2010
- Yamuna in spate, flood threat in Agra - Aug 25, 2010
- Rainy Sunday in Taj city - Aug 27, 2012
- Haryana has no role in Yamuna's rising: officials - Aug 22, 2010
- Flood fears abate in Taj city - Sep 17, 2010
- Yamuna crosses danger mark - Aug 17, 2011
- Yamuna in spate, flood threat looms over Haryana, Delhi (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
- Flood threat in Delhi, Haryana releases more water (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
Tags: alarm signals, barrages, danger level, danger mark, department officials, district administration, district authorities, electrocution, flood control measures, flood danger, flood waters, ghats, gokul, heavy downpour, hindon, irrigation department, lightning strike, ravines, routine activity, yamuna river