Three held with 400 tortoises in Uttar PradeshDecember 29th, 2010 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 29 (IANS) Three poachers, including two women, have been arrested with over 400 tortoises in Jaunpur in Uttar Pradesh, police said Wednesday.The three were nabbed Tuesday night from the Howrah-Amritsar train following an operation by the Government Railway Police (GRP).
“Acting on a tip-off, we held the three poachers who were on their way to Kolkata for handing over the sacks containing tortoises to their clients,” GRP inspector Indra Dev told reporters in Jaunpur, some 250 km from Lucknow.
“Preliminary investigations indicate the three worked for a West Bengal-based poaching racket and have been involved in supplying of animal hides, skins, antlers to their clients in various states of the country for the last six years,” he added.
Police are yet to establish where from the three brought the tortoises.
“They are giving contradictory statements in this regard. Several tortoises seized from the three were alive and handed over to forest officials, who are assisting us in the probe,” said Dev.
India has banned the trade of tortoises under the 1972 Wildlife Protection Act but the huge premium and lax laws are increasingly luring poachers to the trade.
Tortoises are killed for their meat and are used in preparation of some medicines, officials said.
- Two poachers held with 80 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 16, 2010
- Poacher held with 80 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 06, 2010
- Three poachers held with tortoises - Sep 07, 2011
- Three poachers held in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 06, 2011
- Two poachers held with 900 tortoises - Jan 17, 2011
- Poacher held with over 300 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 12, 2010
- Poachers held with 60 tortoises - Jun 16, 2010
- Two poachers held with over 40 tortoises - Jan 10, 2011
- Two poachers held with around 200 tortoises - Jun 09, 2011
- Two poachers nabbed with 95 tortoises - May 04, 2011
- Two women poachers nabbed with 130 tortoises - Feb 27, 2010
- Four crushed to death by train in Uttar Pradesh - May 06, 2011
- Poachers nabbed with 40 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 10, 2010
- Woman arrested with 85 tortoises - Feb 22, 2011
- Forest officials rescue 39 smuggled tortoises in Nainital - Feb 13, 2011
Tags: animal hides, contradictory statements, forest officials, grp, howrah, indra, investigations, jaunpur, lax laws, lucknow, medicines, poachers, railway police, sacks, tortoises, tuesday night, two women, uttar pradesh, west bengal, wildlife protection act