Three held for trying to smuggle tortoises weighing 40 quintalsJuly 3rd, 2008 - 4:49 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 3 (IANS) Busting an international racket involved in the smuggling of tortoises, Uttar Pradesh police have arrested three people in Sultanpur district. Live tortoises weighing over 40 quintals in all were seized, the police said Thursday. “Those arrested were planning to smuggle the tortoises to Bangladesh. The seized tortoises cost over Rs.50 lakh (Rs.5 million) in the international market,” Sultanpur Superintendent of Police D.C. Mishra told IANS.
“We are still interrogating the smugglers to ascertain the place from which the tortoises were brought,” he added.
The smugglers were held from Jagdishpur in Sultanpur, about 140 km from the state capital here, police added.
- Three held with fake currency in Rajasthan's Bharatpur - Jul 02, 2012
- Poacher held with 80 tortoises in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 06, 2010
- Indian held in Dhaka for smuggling tortoises - Aug 07, 2012
- Man held with fake notes - Jan 22, 2011
- Tripura police arrest Maharashtra youth with gold - May 11, 2010
- Two poachers held with 900 tortoises - Jan 17, 2011
- Tiger skins seized in Haryana, 5 held - Jul 20, 2011
- Fake currency of Rs.4.5 lakh face value seized in Punjab - Jan 20, 2011
- Three smugglers held with drugs, fake currency in Amritsar - Jul 04, 2012
- One held with spotted deer skins in Bengal - Mar 08, 2011
- Six held in Ghaziabad for smuggling tortoises - May 25, 2010
- Police seize 2 kg heroin, 1 arrested - Sep 15, 2010
- Drug smuggler arrested in Rajasthan - Dec 18, 2011
- International racket behind rare wood smuggled to China: Police (Lead) - Aug 28, 2010
- Thailand seizes 451 turtles smuggled into plane luggage - Jun 02, 2011