Texas wildfires destroy more than 1500 homesSeptember 12th, 2011 - 7:25 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Bastrop, Sept 12 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Officials in Texas say the wildfire in the state has resulted in the destruction of about 1,554 homes. Firefighters are struggling to bring the blaze under control. On Sunday, more firefighters joined in the battle with 17 people still not accounted for.
Strong winds have been fanning the blaze and officials are expected to give new details about the fire on Monday. About 190 wildfires have destroyed a total of 34,000 acres. The blaze has been brought under control in some places and officials say residents will be allowed to go back to those places where the danger has passed.
Washington declared Texas a disaster zone following the outbreak of the fires. With the declaration, residents in the affected areas are entitled to financial aid from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The agency will also foot 75 percent of the cost of fighting the blaze. The state of Texas will settle the remaining balance on the bill.
Residents who have had their properties destroyed without insurance cover will be eligible to receive up to $30,000 in emergency funds to rebuild their lives. The Texas fires have been described as one of the worst in the state.
Seventeen people are still missing.
- 1,300 homes destroyed in Texas wildfire - Sep 09, 2011
- Wildfire destroys hundreds of homes in Texas - Sep 06, 2011
- Queensland declares emergency following wildfire scare - Oct 19, 2009
- Wildfires ravage Russian villages - Apr 21, 2012
- 20 homes destroyed in the White Swan fire - Feb 14, 2011
- Wildfire burns 50,000 acres of land in US - Apr 09, 2011
- Wildfire Near Tehachapi Burns More Than 30 Homes - Jul 28, 2010
- California wildfire doubles in size, threatens 12,000 homes - Sep 01, 2009
- California wildfires spread - Aug 15, 2009
- Wildfires scorch nearly 7,000 acres in California - Aug 16, 2009
- 22 killed in China wildfire (Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- California wildfire rages, only 5 percent contained - Sep 02, 2009
- Pollution level goes up as Russia battles fires - Aug 08, 2010
- WildFire Engulfs Parts Of Palmdale, Hundreds Evacuated - Jul 30, 2010
- Russia's Siberia region hit by wildfires - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: blaze, disaster zone, emergency funds, emergency management agency, federal emergency management, federal emergency management agency, financial aid, firefighters, insurance, new details, outbreak, state of texas, strong winds, texas fires, wildfire