TERI’s Pachauri gets Mexican humanitarian awardJune 18th, 2012 - 11:07 pm ICT by IANS
Los Cabos (Mexico), June 18 (IANS) The director general of India’s The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), R.K. Pachauri, has been conferred the Mexican Order of the Aztec Eagle by President Felipe Calderon on the margins of the G20 Summit here.
The award is the highest decoration awarded by Mexico to foreigners for their contributions to humankind. Noted artist Satish Gujaral has been among its recipients from India in the past.
Pachauri was honoured along with Margaret Chan, director general of the World Health Organization (WHO), Robert Zeollick, president of the World Bank, and Nicholas Stern, president of Bitain’s Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
An official communique said Pachauri, who is also president of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, helped Mexico ensure the link between economic growth and sustainable development.
“He also advised Mexico as chair of the Cancun Conferences on Climate Change.”
President Calderon said Chan supported Mexico and the world during the emergency caused by the A/H1N1 influenza virus, establishing an exceptional degree of cooperation during the most critical moments of the pandemic.
Zeollick, he said, promoted collective global actions in issues such as climate change, trade, agriculture, food security, energy, water, health, the reinforcement of good government and the fight against corruption, among other issues.
The Mexican president thanked Stern for helping his country devise a strategy for promoting growth with lower levels of greenhouse gas emissions
- Greenpeace launches campaign against Mexican resort project - Mar 15, 2012
- Chinese, Mexican presidents discuss ties - Jun 18, 2012
- PM to attend key summits in Mexico, Brazil - Jun 15, 2012
- G20 may contribute over $450 bn to IMF: Calderon - Jun 20, 2012
- Three killed in Mexico violence - Dec 09, 2010
- Obama, Manmohan to work together to boost global economy (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Obama, Manmohan to work together to strengthen global economy - Jun 15, 2012
- Cruise giant to invest over $150 mn in Mexico - Mar 16, 2012
- Greenpeace occupies Aztec-god sculpture in Mexico protest - Feb 05, 2010
- Hope G20 can help end global economic crisis: PM - Jun 18, 2012
- Mexico welcomes Indian PM in Hindi (Travelling with the PM) - Jun 18, 2012
- Climate conference reaches "compromise" deal to combat global warming - Dec 11, 2010
- Coca-Cola plans to invest $1 bn in Mexico in 2012 - Jan 30, 2012
- India big player at Cancun climate change summit: Mexico - Aug 17, 2010
- Manmohan leaves Saturday for key summits in Mexico, Brazil (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: agriculture food, critical moments, fight against corruption, g20 summit, global actions, greenhouse gas emissions, humanitarian award, influenza virus, intergovernmental panel on climate change, los cabos, los cabos mexico, margaret chan, nicholas stern, order of the aztec eagle, president felipe calderon, president of the united nations, united nations intergovernmental panel, united nations intergovernmental panel on climate chang, water health, world health organization