Tamil Nadu gears up for cyclone Thane (Lead)December 29th, 2011 - 11:16 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 29 (IANS) Tamil Nadu is gearing up for severe cyclone Thane expected to cross the coast between Nagapattinam and Chennai, close to Puducherry, early Friday morning.
According to India Meteorological Department (IMD), Thane lay centred over the Bay of Bengal about about 180 km east of Puducherry and 180 km southeast of Chennai.
Under the influence of the cyclone, heavy rainfall is expected at a few places over north Tamil Nadu and Puducherry till Saturday afternoon. Rain is also forecast over south coastal Andhra Pradesh and Rayalaseema.
Squally winds with speeds reaching 55-65 kmph, rising to 75 kmph, were likely along and off north Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and south Andhra Pradesh coasts.
The wind speed will increase gradually, becoming 110-120 kmph and rising to 135 kmph along and off north Tamil Nadu and adjoining south Andhra Pradesh coast from Thursday night, the IMD said here.
The Hyderabad-based Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) has also warned of high waves (2.5-11 metres) till 5.30 p.m. Friday along the Nagapattinam, Pulicat and Mahabalipuram coasts.
Fishermen along north Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and south Andhra Pradesh coasts were advised not to venture into the sea till Saturday afternoon.
Tamil Nadu ports were in a state of high alert with Chennai and Ennore ports asking the ships to move out to safe distance.
In a statement issued here, the public works department of the Tamil Nadu government said depending on the intensity of the rainfall surplus water from reservoirs in Red Hills, Chembarambakkam and Poondi will be released.
“The people living in low lying areas close to these reservoirs are hereby advised to move to safer places,” the statement said.
The Chennai Municipal Corporation advised people not to park their vehicles under trees.
- Cyclone Thane to cross Tamil Nadu coast Friday morning - Dec 29, 2011
- Cyclone Thane makes landfall in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills five in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- Cyclone Thane to cross near Cuddalore, Puducherry - Dec 30, 2011
- Five evacuation teams deployed in Andhra - Nov 06, 2010
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Tamil Nadu braces for cyclone Jal - Nov 07, 2010
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Alert in Andhra as cyclone threatens coast - Nov 06, 2010
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry; spares Andhra (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 15 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Third Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: afternoon rain, andhra pradesh, bay of bengal, coasts, cyclone, ennore, fishermen, friday morning, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, mahabalipuram, nagapattinam, pulicat, rainfall, reservoirs, safe distance, saturday afternoon, surplus water, tamil nadu government, thane