Sweden braces itself for a Class 3 stormNovember 28th, 2011 - 7:56 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Stockholm, Nov 28 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Sweden is bracing up for a severe storm after the country’s meteorological service issued a Class 3 storm alert. The southern parts of the country were hit hard by the storm called Berit on Sunday.
The country’s storm watcher, Meteorological and Hydrological Institute, SMHI, warned on Sunday that residents should only go out when it is vitally necessary. The country’s southern counties were left without several basic necessities including electricity and rail lines. Ferry services between the country and Germany were also disrupted after the storm.
Sweden’s ferry operator Scandlines announced the cancelation of its schedules to Germany. TT-Line also announced that its services were disrupted because of the storm.
It is estimated that thousands of people are currently in the dark after most of the power lines were knocked down by the storm. Three of the country’s top utility providers Eon, Vattenfall and Fortum announced that about 12,000 clients have been cut off their services because of the storm.
The SMHI said Skåne, Halland, Gothenburg and Bohuslän should be on the alert for Berit.
SMHI meteorologist Ibrahim Almausawe warned that “It may be best to stay at home. There could be a lot of traffic disruption and falling trees.”
- Finnish power firm opens shop in India - Sep 18, 2012
- Big India plans for next-gen Finnish power company - Sep 13, 2012
- Canada is bracing up for Hurricane Maria - Sep 16, 2011
- China braces for tropical storm Nock-Ten - Jul 29, 2011
- Dust storm engulfs Phoenix - Aug 20, 2011
- Three killed in Tripura cyclone - May 03, 2012
- Biggest wave recorded off Ireland's coast - Dec 14, 2011
- Cyclone Thane makes landfall in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Mumbai limps on second day after railway fire - Apr 19, 2012
- Britain in deep freeze - Feb 06, 2012
- China braces for big freeze - Feb 04, 2012
- Incessant rains disrupt normal life in Bengal - Jun 17, 2011
- NASA Warns Solar Storms of 2012 Can Shut Down US for Months! - Aug 17, 2010
- Dora weakens to Category 1 Hurricane - Jul 22, 2011
- Cyclonic storm 'Jal' moves slightly, alert sounded in Andhra, Tamil Nadu - Nov 06, 2010
Tags: basic necessities, braces, cancelation, class 3, ferry operator, ferry services, fortum, gothenburg, hydrological institute, meteorological service, news sweden, scandlines, smhi, southern counties, storm alert, storm watcher, traffic disruption, tt line, utility providers, vattenfall