Supreme Court questions environment ministry on NiyamgiriAugust 1st, 2011 - 1:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 1 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday asked the ministry of environment and forests to respond to a plea of the Orissa Mining Corporation (OMC) challenging the withdrawal of environmental and forest clearances for its bauxite mining project in Niyamgiri hills in the state.
The apex court bench of Justice R.V. Raveendran and Justice Gyan Sudha Misra asked the ministry to file its reply in two weeks after the Orissa government-run OMC told the court that the clearances were withdrawn without giving them an opportunity to be heard.
The court also permitted environmentalist Prafulla Samanta to move an application seeking to be included as a party in the case.
Samanta is opposing bauxite mining in Niyamgiri hills for the project between the OMC and the Vedanta Resources’s Indian arm, Sterlite Industries, for their aluminium plant in the state.
- Apex court questions environment ministry on Niyamgiri (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Apex court's final hearing on Sterlite project next year (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Supreme Court asks for fresh petition on Orissa mining issue - Apr 01, 2011
- Supreme Court notice to government on Orissa project - Apr 21, 2011
- Vedanta: Apex court moved against denial of forest clearance - Mar 10, 2011
- Activist demands shutdown of Vedanta refinery in Odisha - Sep 18, 2012
- No environment clearance to Vedanta - Jul 02, 2011
- India junks Vedanta's mining bid on environment concerns - Aug 24, 2010
- Orissa moves SC against denial of green nod to Vedanta mining project - Apr 01, 2011
- Orissa seeking legal opinion on Vedanta project - Oct 28, 2010
- Vedanta companies tumble at bourses after mining ban - Aug 24, 2010
- Orissa to examine rejection of Vedanta clearance (Lead) - Aug 24, 2010
- Orissa protests rejection of Vedanta clearance - Aug 24, 2010
- Vedanta won't give fight over Orissa hill tribe's sacred mountain - Feb 01, 2011
- Vedanta replies to ministry's showcause notices - Sep 15, 2010
Tags: aluminium plant, apex, apex court, bauxite mining, court bench, environmentalist, gyan, indian arm, mining corporation, mining project, ministry of environment, ministry of environment and forests, misra, New Delhi, orissa government, plea, raveendran, samanta, sudha, vedanta resources