Sunstroke toll rises to 36 in OdishaJune 12th, 2012 - 11:01 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 12 (IANS) Odisha Tuesday confirmed four more deaths due to sunstroke taking the toll of heat-related casualties this summer in the state to 36, with temperatures crossing over 42 degrees Celsius at many places.
The latest deaths have been reported from Sundergarh, Balasore, Jagatsinghpur and Subarnapur districts, an official of the state disaster management department told IANS.
Meanwhile, the heat wave continued to grip several parts of the state although a few places got a slight respite due to sporadic rain and thundershower, the local weather office said in a bulletin.
The district headquarters town of Sambalpur, about 320 km from here, Tuesday recorded a temperature of 44.6 degrees Celsius, the day’s highest in the state, it said. The other places which recorded high temperature include Jharsuguda 44 degrees Celsius, Sundergarh 43.5 degrees and Titilagarh 42.5 degrees.
The state capital Bhubaneswar and its adjoining Cuttack city, however, remained slightly cool recording maximum temperatures of 39.3 and 39 degrees Celsius, respectively, the weather office added.
Bhubaneswar had recorded 46.7 degree Celsius June 5, beating the previous record of highest temperature of 46.5 degrees May 22, 1972.
The heat wave condition would continue to prevail in some parts of the state during at least next one day, the weather office said.
- Mercury soars in Odisha, Titilagarh records 44.5 C - May 15, 2012
- Mercury crosses 44 degrees in Odisha - May 14, 2012
- Sunstroke toll rises to 37 in Odisha - Jun 15, 2012
- Mercury touches 42 degrees in Orissa - May 04, 2011
- Four die in Odisha heat wave - May 19, 2012
- Heat death toll in Odisha climbs to 21 - May 29, 2012
- Heat wave in Odisha, Titilagarh sizzles at 45 degrees - May 16, 2012
- At 46.7 degrees, Odisha bakes in blistering heat - May 25, 2012
- Temperatures cross 45 degrees in five Odisha towns - May 18, 2012
- Relief from heat wave in Orissa, toll rises to 15 - Apr 24, 2010
- Mercury crosses 43 degrees in Odisha - Apr 20, 2012
- Heat wave sizzles western Orissa - May 28, 2010
- Mercury touches 44 degrees in Orissa town - May 10, 2011
- Orissa continues to reel under heat wave - Apr 13, 2010
- Heatwave continues in Odisha, claims 32 lives - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: bhubaneswar, casualties, deaths, degree celsius, disaster management, district headquarters, heat wave, high temperature, local weather, management department, maximum temperatures, odisha, rain, respite, sambalpur, state disaster, wave condition, weather office