Summer break extended in Delhi schools (Lead)July 1st, 2012 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 1 (IANS) Thanks to the scorching summer heat, most schools in Delhi will now reopen July 9, a week behind schedule.
The Delhi government Sunday directed all its schools to extend the summer vacation by a week. They were to open Monday.
Many private schools will also reopen July 9.
“Due to high temperature and hot weather conditions in Delhi, we have decided to extend the summer vacation by a week,” an official statement said.
“We have decided to extend the summer vacation by a week. We may take extra classes on Saturdays for Class 10 and 12 students this month to make up for lost working days,” Tagore International School principal Madhulika Sen told IANS.
The capital has been reeling under intense heat, with maximum temperature hovering around 40 degrees Celsius.
The capital has also been hit by frequent and long power cuts as well as water shortage.
According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD), the monsoon missed its scheduled date with Delhi June 29 — because the monsoon winds were not advancing in Uttar Pradesh.
“Rains are expected any day after July 3,” said the IMD official.
The rising heat has pushed the demand for power to an unprecedented high.
This touched 5,155 MW Wednesday, the highest ever, said a power department official.
- Heat keeps grip on Delhi, schools vacations extended (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Pleasant day in Delhi, showers expected - Jul 09, 2012
- Hot, windy day in Delhi, rain likely Wednesday (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- As Delhi sizzles, power demand reaches to all-time high (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Punjab primary school vacations extended due to heat wave - Jul 01, 2012
- Haryana schools to re-open July 9 - Jul 01, 2012
- Sweltering Delhi to get monsoon rains this week (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Rain eludes Delhi, power demand again peaks (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Searing day, no rains for Delhi - Jul 01, 2012
- Rain likely in Delhi Thursday (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Rain, storm lashes Delhi ahead of monsoon's formal arrival (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Jaipur schools closed till July 8 - Jul 01, 2012
- Delhi has hot Tuesday, rain likely - Jul 03, 2012
- Delhi continues to swelter, monsoon likely after July 3 (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Rain, storm lashes Delhi ahead of monsoon's formal arrival (Second Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: delhi government, high temperature, hot weather, india meteorological department, intense heat, july 1, june 29, maximum temperature, monsoon winds, mw, New Delhi, private schools, saturdays, school principal, schools in delhi, summer heat, summer vacation, water shortage, weather conditions