Strong quake rocks AlaskaJune 23rd, 2009 - 4:30 am ICT by John Le Fevre
A strong magnitude 5.7 earthquake has rocked the south-central Alaskan coast and Alaska’s largest city, Anchorage.
The US Geological Survey said an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.7 struck near the town of Willow at 11:28am today with the epicenter located just 58 miles (93km) from Anchorage.
There was no immediate reports of damage or injury, but the shaking was felt over a wide stretch of south-central Alaska and residents reported diving under desks and hiding in doorways as the quake rumbled for several minutes.
The West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Centre reported the quake’s magnitude at a slightly weaker 5.3 and said no tsunami will be generated.
The Alaska Volcano Observatory said the earthquake was felt throughout south-central Alaska but was not related to Mt. Redoubt which erupted multiple times in March and April of this year producing a 25,000-foot (7,600 m) high ash cloud.
Residents reported feeling a series of aftershocks, with one about 30 minutes later measuring 4.1.
- 7.3 magnitude earthquake strikes Fiji - Sep 16, 2011
- Tremors Strongest At Anchorage Says, Alaska Earthquake Information Center - Sep 21, 2010
- Puerto Rico Experiences 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake - May 16, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes central Peru, no casualties - Oct 29, 2011
- Strong quake hits off southern Taiwan, no threat - Feb 15, 2011
- No reports of damage after powerful quake strikes the Gulf of California - Oct 22, 2010
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- 6.0-magnitude earthquake hits off the coast of Oregon, no damage - Feb 16, 2012
- Strong earthquake strikes western Indonesia, no word on casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- Argentina struck by 6.2 magnitude earthquake - Oct 06, 2011
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Powerful earthquake, small tsunamis hit Indonesia - Oct 26, 2010
- 7.2 quake hits Chile, no tsunami threat (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: 30 minutes, aftershocks, alaska tsunami warning, alaska volcano observatory, anchorage, ash cloud, desks, doorways, earthquake, epicenter, magnitude, mt redoubt, multiple times, quake rocks, south central alaska, town of willow, tsunami, tsunami warning centre, us geological survey, west coast