Strong earthquake hits off JapanAugust 17th, 2009 - 5:52 pm ICT by admin
TOKYO (BNO NEWS) – A strong earthquake struck off Japan’s Southwestern Ryukyu Islands on Monday evening, according to officials.
The earthquake, which had a preliminary magnitude of 6.5, struck about 69 miles south-southwest of Ishigaki-jima on the Ryukyu Islands. It happened around 7.11 p.m. local time (10.11 a.m. UTC). The earthquake’s epicenter was located about 5 to 20 miles deep, making it a shallow earthquake. Although shallow earthquakes often tend to cause more damage, the Japan Meteorological Agency said no populated areas experienced strong shaking.
The country’s meteorological agency immediately issued a tsunami advisory for coastal areas of the island. A small tsunami could be observed along the coastlines, but no destructive waves are expected.
The United States Geological Survey put the earthquake’s magnitude at 6.4.
- Tsunami alert after strong earthquake strikes off Japan's Miyako Islands (Update) - Oct 04, 2010
- Tsunami alert canceled after strong quake hits off Japan's Miyako Islands - Oct 04, 2010
- Strong Quake Hits Japan: No Casualties Reported - Aug 17, 2009
- Powerful earthquake strikes west of Vanuatu, no tsunami alert - Feb 02, 2012
- Powerful earthquakes strike off Vanuatu, generating small tsunamis - Aug 21, 2011
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan's Ryukyu Islands, local tsunami warning issued (Update) - Feb 27, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes off Japan, local tsunami warning issued - Feb 27, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes southeast of Japan's Ryukyu Islands - May 26, 2010
- Powerful quake rocks northern Japan, no casualties - Mar 09, 2011
- Tsunamis strike Japan after enormous earthquakes, casualties reported - Mar 11, 2011
- Strong 6.5-magnitude earthquake hits southeast of Taiwan, no damage reported - Apr 26, 2010
- Strong earthquake shakes northeast Japan, no damage - Mar 27, 2012
- Strong 6.2-magnitude earthquake rattles northern Japan - Jun 13, 2010
- Strong quake shakes northeastern Japan, no damage reported - Mar 31, 2011
- Strong earthquake hits off Japan's Ryukyu Islands, small tsunami recorded - Feb 27, 2010
Tags: bno, coastal areas, coastlines, destructive waves, earthquake hits, epicenter, japan meteorological agency, japan tokyo, local time, magnitude, ryukyu islands, shallow earthquake, shallow earthquakes, south southwest, tsunami, united states geological, united states geological survey