Street plays to increase awareness on climate changeDecember 3rd, 2010 - 8:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 3 (IANS) With climate change talks on at Cancun in Mexico, several voluntary groups are organising street plays, photo exhibitions, signature campaigns and talks in the capital to make people aware on issues related to climate change.
An initiative of Oxfam India, Greenpeace India and Global Climate Action, street plays will be held at Dilli Haat Saturday and Sunday.
A visual installation to represent ‘Dying Mother Earth’ reflecting the existing state of earth due to emissions of greenhouse gases (GHGs) and lack of public motivation resulting in delayed action globally will be displayed at Delhi Haat.
Mother Earth will be shown in an “intensive care unit” (with oxygen mask, ECG machines) and global political leaders, played by volunteers sporting face masks, as “doctors”.
A dummy tree will be placed at Dilli Haat where people can stick their pledges to save the planet.
- The Climate Change Terminology (To go with Curtain Raiser) - Nov 27, 2011
- Climate summit reaches agreement - without commitments - Dec 11, 2010
- Major outcome of Durban climate talks - Dec 11, 2011
- Environmental groups critcise Ramesh on binding commitments - Dec 09, 2010
- Climate talks near finale with agreements still on hold - Dec 10, 2010
- BASIC countries meet in China for climate talks - Oct 30, 2011
- India moves to break deadlock in Cancun, activists unhappy (Lead) - Dec 09, 2010
- Rich countries need to be more sensitive to emissions: Survey - Mar 15, 2012
- India, Mexico to discuss climate change - Aug 14, 2010
- World on thin ice, say green activists - Aug 28, 2009
- No commitments in Cancun Agreement, India's interests 'protected' (Second Lead) - Dec 11, 2010
- Jairam Ramesh, activists differ over India's Cancun gains - Dec 12, 2010
- RTI reveals Govt.failure to protect public interest in climate talks (Part- I) - Nov 25, 2010
- We expect leadership from India: UN climate chief - Feb 05, 2011
- India should provide leadership, says UN climate chief (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
Tags: cancun, climate action, climate change talks, delhi haat, dilli haat, dying mother, face masks, global climate, greenhouse gases, greenpeace, intensive care unit, mother earth, New Delhi, oxfam, oxygen mask, photo exhibitions, pledges, political leaders, saturday and sunday, voluntary groups