Storm alert sounded in coastal OrissaMay 24th, 2009 - 12:47 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 23 (IANS) Orissa’s coastal districts were Saturday put on alert as a depression that had formed over western-central Bay of Bengal was predicted to intensify into a cyclonic storm.
The depression was centered at about 470 km south-south-east off the port town of Paradip, the meteorological office here said.
It is likely to intensify into a cyclonic storm and move in a near northerly direction and cross the West Bengal-Bangladesh Coast Monday evening, according to the weather office.
Sea conditions would remain rough to very rough and fishermen were advised against venturing into the sea along the Orissa coast.
“We have alerted officials of all coastal districts to remain alert,” Bhimsen Gochayat, officer on special duty in the state revenue control room, told IANS.
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Orissa sounds cyclone alert - May 25, 2009
- Cyclone weakens, heavy rains likely in Orissa - Nov 08, 2010
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Cyclonic storm 'Jal' moves slightly, alert sounded in Andhra, Tamil Nadu - Nov 06, 2010
- Depression over Bay of Bengal, fishermen alerted - Oct 19, 2011
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- Orissa fishermen alerted over cyclone 'Jal' - Nov 07, 2010
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Andhra faces cyclone threat, 16 killed in rains (Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- Andhra faces cyclone threat, 20 killed in rains (Second Lead) - Nov 02, 2010
- Andhra on high alert as cyclonic storm intensifies - May 18, 2010
- Rain-battered coastal Andhra braces for cyclone - Nov 04, 2010
Tags: bangladesh, bay of bengal, bhubaneswar, coastal districts, coastal orissa, cyclonic storm, depression, fishermen, meteorological office, northerly direction, orissa coast, sea conditions, state revenue, storm alert, weather office, west bengal