Sterlite approaches Supreme Court to stay plant closure orderSeptember 30th, 2010 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 30 (IANS) Sterlite Industries, part of the London-based Vedanta Resources, has approached the Supreme Court to stay the Madras High Court’s order closing its copper smelter plant in Tuticorin with immediate effect.Also, the company has filed a review petition in the High Court seeking three weeks time to implement its order, saying the plant producing sulphuric and phosphoric acid cannot be shut down instantly.
“The company has filed a Special Leave Petition (SLP) in the Supreme Court to stay the High Court’s closure order. We have also filed a review petition before the High Court to give three weeks time to comply with its closure order,” Iyer Sundar Raj, public relations head, told IANS over phone from Tuticorin.
He reiterated the company’s resolve to seek all legal remedies so that the 400,000 tonne per annum (tpa) plant starts functioning as before.
“What is encouraging is the support from employees, general public and others for the continuance of the plant. Posters have come up in Tuticorin in support of the plant,” said Raj.
Asked whether the National Trust for Clean Environment (NTCE) plans to file a contempt of court petition against Sterlite for operating the plant despite the closure order, NTCE counsel G. Ramapriya told IANS: “We do not have any such plans.”
- Supreme Court stays order on Sterlite plant closure (Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- Sterlite seek three weeks to shut smelter plant (Lead) - Sep 29, 2010
- Supreme Court stays order on Sterlite plant closure - Oct 01, 2010
- Court orders closure of Sterlite's copper smelter plant - Sep 28, 2010
- Court orders closure of Sterlite's copper smelter plant (Lead) - Sep 29, 2010
- Sterlite to appeal against Madras High Court order - Sep 29, 2010
- Supreme Court extends stay on Sterlite plant shutdown (Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- Supreme Court stays Madras High Court's order on closure of Sterlite Industries' - Oct 01, 2010
- Apex court extends stay on Sterlite's shut down - Oct 18, 2010
- Sterlite plant closure may lead to inflow of sulphuric acid from overseas - Sep 29, 2010
- Sterlite Industries charged for evading duty - Aug 22, 2010
- Court tells Sterlite to seek licence from pollution board - Jan 17, 2012
- Sterlite plant: Tamil Nadu asked to reply on environment report - Jul 18, 2011
- Apex court seeks green tips on smelting unit (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- Troubled Vedanta loses appeal for controversial Orissa refinery - Oct 22, 2010
Tags: clean environment, contempt of court, continuance, copper smelter, court petition, london, madras high court, national trust, ntce, plant closure, plant posters, public relations, slp, smelter plant, sterlite industries, supreme court, tonne, tpa, tuticorin, vedanta resources