Stadium comes alive with buffaloes on the ramp!February 22nd, 2012 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
Jind (Haryana), Feb 22 (IANS) Every time a contestant stepped on the ramp, there were no ‘Uhs’ and ‘Aahs’ that normally go with ramp shows. But there was cheering and clapping. Not for any models though.
In a unique event hosted Wednesday by the Haryana Animal Husbandry and Dairying department at Arjun Stadium here, 180 km from Chandigarh, it were the Murrah breed of buffaloes who walked the ramp.
The owners made sure that the high milk-yielding breed put up their best foot forward.
The healthy buffaloes looked perfectly groomed and polished for the event as their owners proudly led them through the ramp walk.
In attendance to watch the show were Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar and Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda.
A department spokesman said the pageant was “the first of its kind of programme in the world”.
A giant screen was put up at the stadium to give the spectators a closer look at the buffalo beauties.
The Murrah breed of buffaloes is popular in Haryana’s rural areas for their high milk yield.
The government had launched a special scheme for the preservation of this breed of buffaloes under which the owner is given incentives on the basis of the milk production.
- Buffaloes to walk the ramp in Haryana - Feb 21, 2012
- Murrah milk drives Haryana's white revolution - Aug 22, 2012
- Haryana buffalo sets record - Dec 01, 2009
- Haryana to set up 200 hi-tech mini-dairies - Jul 02, 2012
- Haryana to import cattle semen - Dec 09, 2009
- Haryana farmers can now own 'imported' calves - Nov 16, 2010
- Haryana university to help Chinese improve buffalo breeds - Oct 24, 2009
- UP plans to set up milk plant in Lucknow - Aug 08, 2012
- First cloned buffalo dies but Indian scientists happy - Feb 12, 2009
- Haryana institute clones world's second buffalo calf - Jun 07, 2009
- Haryana insures 125,000 cattle head of farmers, dairy owners - Dec 19, 2008
- Punjab imports cattle semen to improve milch breeds - Apr 27, 2012
- Haryana to soon have agriculture policy: Hooda - Feb 06, 2011
- Haryana Jats call off agitation, to lift railway blockades - Mar 26, 2011
- Taj city goes without milk - Mar 23, 2012
Tags: aahs, agriculture minister, animal husbandry, beauties, best foot, bhupinder singh hooda, buffaloes, chandigarh, chief minister, closer look, department spokesman, giant screen, haryana, incentives, milk production, ramp, rural areas, sharad pawar, spectators, uhs